Old 11-12-2003, 10:12 PM
mike

Default Cat urine killing english boxwood hedge!

I planted 35 boxwoods that line my walkway to my porch. I have since
replaced 10 of these because cats are urinating on them and killing
them. I've considered the Scarecrow "motion activated sprinkler" but
this is a walkway to my front door. Is there any other type of boxwood
or am I out of luck???

Please help! -mike
Old 11-12-2003, 11:42 PM
Eric Tonks

I once had a dog that was killing some bushes with urine. I came up with the
idea of a farmer's electric fence to electrify a wire fence in front of the
bushes. The theory was when the dog/cat urinated on the plant through the
fence an electrical charge would travel up the stream to the animal. It
would NEVER want to pee on that plant again -- providing it could still pee.

I never set it up, I was afraid of people or children coming in contact with
the setup.

om...

Old 13-12-2003, 03:12 AM
David Hare-Scott

"mike" wrote in message
om...
I planted 35 boxwoods that line my walkway to my porch. I have since
replaced 10 of these because cats are urinating on them and killing
them. I've considered the Scarecrow "motion activated sprinkler" but
this is a walkway to my front door. Is there any other type of boxwood
or am I out of luck???

Please help! -mike

How do you know it is cat urine doing them in?

There is nothing toxic in it and given the amount produced by each cat,
unless you live in cat central with hundreds of them queueing up all
night, I seriously doubt there is enough nitrogenous chemicals in there
to over-fertilise one plant much less 10.

I would be looking for an alternate explanation.

David

Old 14-12-2003, 01:02 AM
D Kat

I have to agree. I have four cats and I use their litter (compressed pine
sawdust) as a much for my boxwoods and they are thriving.

DK

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

om...

Old 14-12-2003, 04:02 PM
David J Bockman

English Boxwood has a scent quite similar to cat urine, are you perhaps
smelling that and drawing the wrong conclusions?

Dave

"D Kat" wrote in message
.net...
I have to agree. I have four cats and I use their litter (compressed pine
sawdust) as a much for my boxwoods and they are thriving.

DK

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

om...