Old 07-02-2003, 07:13 PM
eddy

Default re-sealing seed packages

was curious to know if this works or not?
whats the odds ?
use 50% and save 50%
for example

Old 07-02-2003, 07:34 PM
Martin Sykes

"eddy" wrote in message
was curious to know if this works or not?
whats the odds ?
use 50% and save 50%

Hi Eddy,

A similar thread a couple of days ago seemed to suggest that saving is fine
if you keep the seed cold ( eg. fridge ), and for hardy plants, frozen will
last even longer. I asked because I was sick of getting 2000+ seeds in a
packet and wasting most of them.

Martin

Old 07-02-2003, 09:06 PM
Gary Woods

eddy wrote:

was curious to know if this works or not?
whats the odds ?
use 50% and save 50%
for example

Are you asking if you can keep some of the seeds, or if you can re-seal the
packet?
Many seeds are quite long lived, but some are not. You should try a web
search for "longevity of seeds" or such.
Most seed packets now use the same sort of glue as "post-it" notes, so can
be easily opened and re-closed. You can also get a glue stick of the same
stuff at your office supply/stationer's.
(Brand names may vary; I'm in the American colonies).

Old 08-02-2003, 05:40 AM
Anne Middleton/Harold Walker

Should have added this comment first time around.......when storing seeds
keep in an airtight container in the fridge.......also include some silica
gel in the container to control moisture level (not in the individual seed
packets).........if silica gel is not readily availbale to you skim milk
powder works quite well.......my silica gel is in a very fine linen cloth
bag. HW

Old 08-02-2003, 10:46 AM
eddy

On Fri, 07 Feb 2003 21:06:27 GMT, Gary Woods
wrote:

eddy wrote:

was curious to know if this works or not?
whats the odds ?
use 50% and save 50%
for example

Are you asking if you can keep some of the seeds, or if you can re-seal the
packet?
Many seeds are quite long lived, but some are not. You should try a web
search for "longevity of seeds" or such.
Most seed packets now use the same sort of glue as "post-it" notes, so can
be easily opened and re-closed. You can also get a glue stick of the same
stuff at your office supply/stationer's.
(Brand names may vary; I'm in the American colonies).

wondering if the seeds are packed in a vaccum ?
or special conditions ?
so if you open the pack air and moisture gets in and bingo
no use anymore

Old 09-02-2003, 12:55 AM
Gary Woods

eddy wrote:

wondering if the seeds are packed in a vaccum ?
or special conditions ?
so if you open the pack air and moisture gets in

The moisture isn't instantly fatal, it just speeds the degradation of the
seed which is, after all, a living embryo. Not at all like a spore that
can live virtually forever.

I keep mine in a Rubbermaid (US Brand) storage tray. It's just the right
size for three rows of the usual seed packets, with two corrugated
cardboard dividers stuck in with hot-melt glue. There's a pint jar of
silica gel standing in there, fine mesh tied over the mouth in case it gets
knocked over. Some of the crystals have the blue indicator dye in them, so
when they turn pink, I bake in a 200F oven for a few hours to dry, cover
tightly, and put back in the seed bin when cool.
I don't have any scientific data, but onion and leek seed, usually
considered short-lived germinate fine after 4 years in this storage. The
bins aren't refrigerated, but live in an "empty nest" bedroom that's cooler
than the rest of the house.

Old 14-02-2003, 09:49 PM
g stott

I've done it for years fold the edge over three or four times and put the foil
back in the paper packet the will germinate next year if kept dry and dark
perhaps not quite as high a percentage but the difference is barely noticeable.

graham

Sealing a Garden Shed @ ground level Barry Watts Ponds 4 18-01-2004 12:24 AM
Sealing Clay Pots Sammy' Gardening 9 15-12-2003 07:32 PM
Sealing a pond PM United Kingdom 3 20-10-2003 02:22 PM
Greenhouse glass foam sealing tape ?? reqd for repairs gray bale United Kingdom 3 24-04-2003 01:44 AM
Sealing the base of a garden shed. Barry Watts United Kingdom 1 07-04-2003 03:32 AM