Old 20-12-2003, 04:32 PM
Lynda LeCompte

Default Plant ID Extravaganza!!

As mentioned in the master gardener help thread, I have posted a bunch of
pics of some of the plants in my gardens, for help with identification.
For those that may not have been following, I am not familiar with a most
of these plants as I have come from a small English garden to this much
larger garden in zone 9, S. Texas!

The pics are all thumbnailed here;
http://purplelinny.com/plantid/

As mentioned on the page, I know the elephant ear plant, but could do with
some words on that one. It was perfectly healthy last week, but that was
before a couple of frosty mornings AND having had some of its roots pulled
as they had wriggled into our septic line and was causing a blockage :-/ I
gather it makes a good house plant so was thinking about potting some of
the healthy parts to get it out of the way of the septic line.

There is also a healthy shrimp flower plant there that has gotten very
leggy. I think I'll lop that back when it has finished flowering.

Pic #33 is ginger... I know that much, but need to find out what type it is
and what to do with the gobs of this plant that I have domineering an area.

There's a berry plant (#32) that's spread all over one of my veggie
patches. Is it blackberry? Whatever it is, I have to get rid of it, it's
taking over!

Things are getting better as my hubby has just found his "Neil Sperry's
Complete Guide to Texas Gardening" book (second edition) that was in the
depths of moving boxes. Wow - what a great book! Now I'm going to be torn
between going outside and making the most of another beautiful day or
getting my nose stuck into the book... maybe I'll just take the book
outside with me...

I really do appreciate all and any help. Maybe if someone spots something
they would like a cutting of, something can be arranged. Let me know :-)

Have fun!
--
Lynda
Old 20-12-2003, 05:32 PM
madgardener

"Lynda LeCompte" wrote in message
news
As mentioned in the master gardener help thread, I have posted a bunch of
pics of some of the plants in my gardens, for help with identification.
For those that may not have been following, I am not familiar with a most
of these plants as I have come from a small English garden to this much
larger garden in zone 9, S. Texas!

The pics are all thumbnailed here;
http://purplelinny.com/plantid/

number 5 is Nandina Domesticus. A member of the bamboo family and overused
as foundation plantings here in the states.............. I think I
identified Yew as well from some needles that were showing in another
picture. (if Yew is planted too closely to your house, it will crack and
heave the foundation. You should see what it did to my mother's two foot
thick cement front porch slab..................)

number 10 are the berries from varigated Lirope. Hardier where you are in
zone 9 Texas, as apposed to here in zone 7, Tennessee.... hang on there is
more........
photo 24 is Bronze ajuga a great ground cover, and it will produce a spike
with sky blue flowers when it's cooler......(not sure when your season for
those would be as you're nine. Here Bronze ajuga blooms in later springtime)

number 29 is blue common violet. I love common violets and occaisonally my
garden friends take pity on me and send me clumps of them as they're very
happy reseeders. Now if I could only locate some blue and white ones, the
elusive yellow one and the dark royal purple one to plug into my patch I've
gotten started over near the fence on the west side yard.

number 35 is Aucuba japonica or Gold dust plant.

I think another picture is Papyrus.......(the one that looks like a fan?)
but it could be Chinese fan palm. You need to implore the assistance of the
local expert, Victoria. She's in Texas and probably knows every one of these
plants by visual.

As mentioned on the page, I know the elephant ear plant, but could do with
some words on that one. It was perfectly healthy last week, but that was
before a couple of frosty mornings AND having had some of its roots pulled
as they had wriggled into our septic line and was causing a blockage :-/ I
gather it makes a good house plant so was thinking about potting some of
the healthy parts to get it out of the way of the septic line.

yes, the frost nipped the leaves of the elephant ear. Are these leaves HUGE?
Or are they of medium size? Elephant ear are enormous. With your zone 9
they'd be at least three foot across and as long if not longer. Even here
when grown in the ground for spring and summer, they attain enormous
proportions. There's a place in Nashville where the people planted elephant
ears in a ditch that has a sheltered micro-climate and they pile up leaves
to protect them even more and these things have multiplied and spread all
along the ditch or run off and are visible from the road above them. It's
incredible to see........especially when you take into consideration that
they're not hardy in zone 6 during winter.

There is also a healthy shrimp flower plant there that has gotten very
leggy. I think I'll lop that back when it has finished flowering.

To think that shrimp plants here are just house plants.................

Pic #33 is ginger... I know that much, but need to find out what type it

is
and what to do with the gobs of this plant that I have domineering an

area.

There's a berry plant (#32) that's spread all over one of my veggie
patches. Is it blackberry? Whatever it is, I have to get rid of it, it's
taking over!

either blackberry or raspberry. that I know for sure. When you dig it up,
don't leave a root of it.........

Things are getting better as my hubby has just found his "Neil Sperry's
Complete Guide to Texas Gardening" book (second edition) that was in the
depths of moving boxes. Wow - what a great book! Now I'm going to be torn
between going outside and making the most of another beautiful day or
getting my nose stuck into the book... maybe I'll just take the book
outside with me...

good idea. I often times drag out a book with me to try and identify things
here. Particularly my Smokie Mountain wild flowers book or Eastern
Wildflowers book. I don't have any in my own woods but am always coming
across something somewhere else.

I really do appreciate all and any help. Maybe if someone spots something
they would like a cutting of, something can be arranged. Let me know :-)

Have fun!
--
Lynda

I hope my meager attempts were some help..........

Old 20-12-2003, 06:02 PM
Pam - gardengal

Lynda, you don't have the pics numbered (and I only count 33 total), so
reading from left to right and down the page, here are my best guesses.
BTW - detail photos of leaves with flowers or fruit, if any, are somewhat
easier to ID than just a view of the plant as a whole.

2. Colocasia, elephant ears. What you are seeing is cold damage
4. Nandina domestica, Heavenly bamboo
6. conifer of some sort - as best as I can tell from the pic, most likely a
Thuja
7. Polystichum munitum, sword fern
8. Rhododendron in too much sun
9. Liriope
14. Cyrtomium falcatum, Japanese holly fern
15. Liriope, again
17. Adiantum, maidenhair fern
18. Fatsia japonica, Japanese aralia
19. Rose obviously, but it will take a rosarian to ID specifc cultivar
20. Euphorbia pulcherrima, Poinsettia
21. variegated Vinca major
22. Asparagus fern
23. Ajuga reptans, bugle weed
27. Viola odorata, wood violet
29. Rubus of some form (yes, a nasty noxious weed - persistance is required
for successful removal)
30. Hedychium, hardy ginger - impossible to tell which from the photo
31. looks like a laurel, probably some form of Prunus laurocerasus
32. Acuba japonica, Japanese laurel

pam - gardengal

Old 20-12-2003, 06:12 PM
Pam - gardengal

number 5 is Nandina Domesticus. A member of the bamboo family and

overused
as foundation plantings here in the states..............

Nandina domestica is not in anyway related to bamboo other than by foliar
appearance. It is a member of the Berberidaceae or the barberry family. It
tends to be somewhat overused because of its hardiness and adapatability to
a wide range of conditions.

pam - gardengal

Old 20-12-2003, 07:12 PM
animaux

Your first page shows up as photo number one on my web browser, so I will number
them the way I see them.

2. Cherry Laurel
3. Elephant ears (caladium which is hardy in our part of Texas)
6-7 Maybe Thuga?
8. sword fern
10 .porcelain berry
14. shrimp plant
15. holly fern
16. liriope
17. Argeratum 'Gregg's blue mist' native
18. maidenhair fern
22. variegated vinca major
24. ajuga
25. papyrus
27. mexican petunia
32. strawberries

I gave many common names, but they are known by their common name, easily.
There are other things which I cannot tell. Some of the shrubs may be
viburnums.

Victoria

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 16:16:33 GMT, Lynda LeCompte opined:

Old 20-12-2003, 07:32 PM
MLEBLANCA

In article 7_%Eb.442484$275.1312073@attbi_s53, "Pam - gardengal"
writes:

[...]

I agree with Pam's ID on all of these
and would like to add
24 and 28 are Cyperus alternifolius,
common name is Umbrella Plant
It is a sedge, not Papyrus, but related to it.
Liked by flower arrangers, it can be pesty and
spread in damp, wet ground. Wil grow in ponds.

Emilie
NorCal
Old 21-12-2003, 12:12 AM
David Hill

Starting from the bottom(IT would have been a lot easier if you had numbered
them)
Don't know, then above that
Spotted laurel
missing next row
then Viola oderata and Cyperus (Umbrella Plant)
miss next row
Ajuga and another Cyperus
Vinca major variegata and Asparagus plumosa
Do I need to say rose and don't know
Fern(Asplenium?) and fatsia japonica

think that's enough for now.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 21-12-2003, 04:02 AM
Lynda LeCompte

Wow - thanks for all the responses. That's a GREAT help. I had been sat in
the garden with my newly found Neil Sperry book before I started any
physical gardening today and had identified a few plants, to come back
later and read this thread to find that I was correct with the IDs I did
make - including my determination that the ajuga was the bronze variety (it
looked purple to me!). So, I am learning.

Apologies for the confusion by the lack of a proper numbering system... I
use a simple script to generate my thumbnail pages which saves me from
having to hardcode the image filenames. When I referenced the pics in my
original post, I was referring to the numbers in the filenames and
ignorantly thought everyone would realise that. Sorry - my bad :-/

Anyway, I am really pleased with the responses and will look at again
tomorrow after a good nights sleep. /yawns... I hope to get these plant
names engraved in my mind... my memory isn't what it should be.

Thanks again, kind ppls.
--
Lynda
Old 21-12-2003, 04:32 PM
Elizabeth

"Lynda LeCompte" wrote in message
news
As mentioned in the master gardener help thread, I have posted a bunch of
pics of some of the plants in my gardens, for help with identification.
For those that may not have been following, I am not familiar with a most
of these plants as I have come from a small English garden to this much
larger garden in zone 9, S. Texas!

The pics are all thumbnailed here;
http://purplelinny.com/plantid/

Lynda

1. looks so familiar, it's killing me that I can't name it....
2.Colocasia, Taro
3. Nanadina
4. Nandina
5. Juniper
6. Juniper
7. Wood fern
8.
9. Mondo grass
10. Azalea
11. Nandina
12.
13.Justicia, Shrimp plant
14. Holly fern
15. Liriope
16.Ageratum
17. Adiantum, Maidenhair fern
18. Fatsia
19. Rose
20.
21. Vinca major
22. Aspargus plumosa
23. Ajuga reptans
24. Cyperus
25. Salvia... can't recall the species...
26. Euonymus
27. Violet
28. Cyperus
29. Rubus
30. Ginger
31. Raphiolepis, Indian Hawthorn
32. Aucuba
33. Cuphea

--
elizabeth, Baton Rouge, LA
http://community.webshots.com/user/elott63

Old 22-12-2003, 08:02 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

Have not had the time to go over every picture but the last one is
definitely Russelia equisetiformis not a Cuphea.