Old 01-01-2004, 10:32 PM
Berob

Default Spray Lacebugs Now in Zone 7?

I live in Raleigh, NC (Zone 7) and noted in late summer/early fall that I
had a lacebug infestation on some azaleas I planted earlier in the spring.
My question is will it be effective to spray them now in winter or do I need
to wait until spring? I just don't know if winter kills them or makes them
go dormant where they wouldn't be affected by treatment. Thanks for any
advice.

Old 02-01-2004, 01:12 AM
Lar

In article , berob99
@hotmail.com says...
My question is will it be effective to spray them now in winter or do I need
to wait until spring? I just don't know if winter kills them or makes them
go dormant where they wouldn't be affected by treatment. Thanks for any
advice.

The insecticide treatment would be more effective in the Spring. Before
treating though, inspect the plants to make sure their predators aren't out
in full force or that their eggs haven't already been parasitized which is
sometimes the case after a previous infestation.
--

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

Old 02-01-2004, 01:17 AM
Lar

In article , berob99
@hotmail.com says...

Old 02-01-2004, 04:02 AM
Stephen M. Henning

"Berob" wrote:

I live in Raleigh, NC (Zone 7) and noted in late summer/early fall that I
had a lacebug infestation on some azaleas I planted earlier in the spring.
My question is will it be effective to spray them now in winter or do I need
to wait until spring? I just don't know if winter kills them or makes them
go dormant where they wouldn't be affected by treatment.

Whitish specks on the upper surface of leaves and dark spots
varnish-like on the bottom are symptoms of rhododendron lace bugs . They
are more prevalent on certain varieties and on plants grown in sunny
areas. When damage first appears, it may be controlled by any of a
number of contact insecticides. Care must be taken to spray the lower
surfaces of the leaves where the lace bugs live.

NCSU recommends: Spray underside of leaves with insectidal soap or
summer hort oil. Late April and mid August are best times for control.*
Repeated applications of some insecticides may be needed to control lace
bugs effectively. Make the first application as soon as nymphs appear
in the spring. Follow with a second application 7 to 10 days later if
needed. Repeat as needed at monthly intervals. Make sure the undersides
of the leaves are covered.

Another option is to move the plant to a shadier location.

For more information visit:
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/ent/no...9e/ort039e.htm

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to