Old 02-01-2004, 02:02 PM
Lorraine Lawler

Default OT - Visiting Phoenix

My husband I will be in Phoenix visiting friends from February 6-13.
Our friends are new to the area so I'm looking for recommendations of
things to see/do for the four of us....interesting tourist areas,
public gardens, etc. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:12 PM
Ray C.

Lorraine Lawler wrote in message ...
My husband I will be in Phoenix visiting friends from February 6-13.
Our friends are new to the area so I'm looking for recommendations of
things to see/do for the four of us....interesting tourist areas,
public gardens, etc. Thanks in advance.

Hi Lorraine,

I haven't been to Phoenix for a few years but the Desert Botanical
Gardens was very nice. You could check out the website -
www.arizona.com and then choose Phoenix.
Old 03-01-2004, 09:32 PM
Jim Lewis

"Ray C." wrote in message
om...
Lorraine Lawler wrote in message

My husband I will be in Phoenix visiting friends from

February 6-13.
Our friends are new to the area so I'm looking for

recommendations of
things to see/do for the four of us....interesting tourist

areas,
public gardens, etc. Thanks in advance.

Hi Lorraine,

I haven't been to Phoenix for a few years but the Desert

Botanical
Gardens was very nice. You could check out the website -
www.arizona.com and then choose Phoenix.

Yes. The botanical gardens between Phoenix and Temp (really ONE
city now) are very nice.

A MUST visit when in Arizona is the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum
in the Saguaro National Monument near Tucson. That's a hundred
or so miles south of Phoenix, but it is well worth the trip. I
visit AZ frequently (went to ASU) and always take time to make
the trip south. www.desertmuseum.org/ It makes a great day
trip.

Heard Museum in Phoenix is great if you like Native American art.
www.heard.org/

Arcosanti, a few miles to the north of Phoenix is interesting.
www.arcosanti.org/

Montezuma's Castle (National Monument: Indian ruins) is nearby
and well worth a visit.

And, of course no visit to AZ is complete without a visit to the
Grand Canyon!

Go to your local library and check out a few back issues of
Arizona Highways Magazine. www.arizhwys.com/

I'll be back in AZ for 2 weeks in late May.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only to the
white man was nature a wilderness -- Luther Standing Bear
(Ogallala Sioux Chief)

Old 04-01-2004, 08:12 AM
Jim Carr

"Lorraine Lawler" wrote in message
My husband I will be in Phoenix visiting friends from February 6-13.
Our friends are new to the area so I'm looking for recommendations of
things to see/do for the four of us....interesting tourist areas,
public gardens, etc. Thanks in advance.

Desert Botanical Gardens are a must. For an expensive meal with the *best*
view of the city, go to The Pointe at Tapatio Cliffs. You *have* take a hike
at Sqaw Peak - you'll seem plenty of natural desert vegetation. If you want
to take a day trip, drive to Sedona. It's gorgeous. Be sure to see the
church. Eat at Pete's Fish and Chips for lunch one day. Drive by ASU in
Tempe to look at Sun Devil Stadium.

Old 05-01-2004, 02:02 AM
J Kolenovsky

Yes, the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum in Tucson,
http://www.desertmuseum.org/.Great place.

Also, for general fun,
http://www.desertusa.com/mag99/apr/stories/bios2.html, in Tucson.

Lorraine Lawler wrote:
=

My husband I will be in Phoenix visiting friends from February 6-13.
Our friends are new to the area so I'm looking for recommendations of
things to see/do for the four of us....interesting tourist areas,
public gardens, etc. Thanks in advance.

-- =

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal

Old 10-01-2004, 03:42 PM
Mary

Lorraine,

I would like to recommend a place that I enjoy far, far more than
Arizona Botanical Gardens. My favorite place to visit is the "Boyce
Thompson Arboretum". There are many, many wonderful and different
species of plants. An old green house with many you may have never
seen before. Plan to be there at least a half-day, as there is a
wonderful, easy trail to walk on that takes you through many different
microclimates. You start out in the desert area, and hike down into a
small canyon with a stream. The temp changes are definitely noticed.
All kinds of old garden bulbs, iris, tulips, etc will probably be in
bloom down in the lower canyon. I can recommend a couple of sites
that will give you the scope of beauty here. First, Boyce Thompson
Arboretum web site:

http://arboretum.ag.arizona.edu/

Also, I found pictures of the tour a guy took of the gardens. Make
sure to click on the pictures in the frames, that takes you to some
more pictures that this person took of the gardens. You can see that
at this link:

http://www.gardenerscorner.com/BoyceThompson.html

I live in Casa Grande, and I try to make it there at least twice a
year. In September/October the gardens attract many, many species of
butterflies. A great experience seeing all the different butterflies.

Mary