Old 12-01-2004, 04:12 AM
RESPITE95

Default tree and shrub catalog

Can anyone recommend a catalog that you have gotten quality trees and shrubs
from? I am located in the South. GCS
Old 12-01-2004, 05:33 PM
Zemedelec

If you're in the New Orleans area, you can have 2 adolescent deciduous oaks (15
feet high, about 6 in. diameter, nursery price $400-$700) for trade or a much
lower price if you dig and fill. One of my neighbors, a man of 50 in good
shape, dug one out with a shovel in about 45 minutes.
zemedelec
Old 14-01-2004, 07:13 PM
Jim Lewis

"Pam - gardengal" wrote in message

"Tallgrass" wrote in message
om...
(RESPITE95) wrote in message

Can anyone recommend a catalog that you have gotten

quality trees and
shrubs
from? I am located in the South. GCS

you might do a web search for muller trees....I don't have

the web
address offhand, but theyh reputedly have good stock.

Linda H.

I think that might be Musser Forests :-)) Another excellent

mail order
source is ForestFarms.

Musser forests:
www.musserforests.com -- (maybe no "s" on the
end) I ordered some trees from them a few years ago and they did
NOT do well in our summer heat (even though their USDA zone says
they grow here). There ARE wide differences between the species
born in the northern part of its range and the same tree from the
south.

Forest Farm is www.forestfarm.com. I haven't ordered yet. The
catalog is MUCH more extensive than Musser's, and is actually fun
to read. I have a friend who works for the SODS office of the
USDA (Maryland) who recently ordered from Forest Farm and she was
happy with the result. This company is in Oregon so I most
likely would have the same problem.

Here -- http://www.floridaforest.org/landowner_nurseries.shtml --
is a link to a list of forestry nurseries in North Florida and
South Georgia. I have dealt with Florida Lands & Timber (in the
past) over the course of several years when I worked for
Florida's environmental agency and we gave away seedlings for
Earth Day every year. They have a fair variety of trees, and
most are natives of the Southeastern US. However, you cannot
just buy ONE tree. They sell packaged bare-root seedlings; I
think 25 is (or was) the minimum order per species.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Apples and
Oranges: A Demonstration -- Welcome to Hooterville! Population:
2000. Elevation: 3000. Established: 1850. TOTAL = 6850 -- Bob
Lilienfield