Old 14-09-2006, 11:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Potted pine

I bought this small ( 5 inch) pine in a 2 inch pot at a Oriental art and
craft store. It seems to be drooping now. Lady said maybe 5 foliar sprays
of water and 2 at the base "not every day". It's inside and doesn't get sun
right now. But in the store it only maybe got 2 hours sun.

Help.

Old 15-09-2006, 09:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

Mike wrote:
I bought this small ( 5 inch) pine in a 2 inch pot at a Oriental art and
craft store. It seems to be drooping now. Lady said maybe 5 foliar sprays
of water and 2 at the base "not every day". It's inside and doesn't get sun
right now. But in the store it only maybe got 2 hours sun.

Help.

Is this a bonsai? A lot of the cheap bonsais for sale are badly potted
in the wrong kind of dirt, and the only way they are able to be sold is
that it takes dying plants a good bit of time to turn brown and dry
out.

Pines need to be outside to live. Not only does it need a lot of sun,
but it needs good air circulation and to go through dormancy in the
winter as part of it's life cycle. Pines naturally grown in rocky
areas and like fast draining soil. They don't like to stand in wet
soil all the time

My advice is to put it outside immediately, and repot it if the soil is
draining slow.

Old 18-09-2006, 12:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Scooter the Mighty" wrote in message
oups.com...

It's not a banzai. It could be a Colorado spruce for all I know. There's a
hole in the pot and it appears to be draining ok. I have put it outside.
My apartment doesn't seem to be getting any sun now. I'm in Hawaii and
there are non indigenous Pines in the forests that survive without
horticultural dormancy.

Old 18-09-2006, 09:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

Mike wrote:
"Scooter the Mighty" wrote in message
oups.com...

It's not a banzai. It could be a Colorado spruce for all I know. There's a
hole in the pot and it appears to be draining ok. I have put it outside.
My apartment doesn't seem to be getting any sun now. I'm in Hawaii and
there are non indigenous Pines in the forests that survive without
horticultural dormancy.

There are a few kinds of pine that are tropical and don't need dormancy
(allepo pines and Norfolk Island pines are the ones that come to mind).
If yours is one of those it might surivive. If it's a Colorado spruce
or most other kinds of Pine, you'll probably get a year or two before
it starts acting wimpy and then dies.

[IMG] code is On

potted miniature roses Dick E. Roses 6 22-03-2011 11:09 PM
pine tree for pine nuts jay jay United Kingdom 3 04-10-2004 07:37 AM
2' Live Pine Tree, Potted Harper Willson Gardening 2 13-01-2004 09:42 PM
[IBC] Advice on Pine Trees (Pine Tree "Farm") Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 03-01-2004 09:28 PM
Advice on Pine Trees (Pine Tree "Farm") Dish Gardening 4 03-01-2004 08:42 PM