Old 18-01-2004, 07:03 PM
Shell

Default Zone 9 Sowing Question

I've got some lavender seeds. I'm in zone 9, what is the best time to sow
these seeds? I have a nice sunny spot planned for them where I hope they
will naturalise and keep coming back. Any help is appreciated.

Shell

Old 19-01-2004, 02:03 AM
Phisherman

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 12:22:08 GMT, "Shell"
wrote:

I've got some lavender seeds. I'm in zone 9, what is the best time to sow
these seeds? I have a nice sunny spot planned for them where I hope they
will naturalise and keep coming back. Any help is appreciated.

Shell

Sow lavender in a pot of soil or directly on the ground. They are not
the typical seed, as they need full sun and a lot of patience to
germinate. I started mine in a pot, then transplanted to individual
pots, then transplanted to the garden the following year. They are
perennials and stay green all year in zone 7. I have the "true
lavender" (from Burpee Seed Co) but there are several varieties. Keep
on the dry side in neutral or alkaline soil. I trim mine once or
twice a year, each plant is about the size of a basketball or larger.