Old 28-01-2004, 01:02 AM
Sue

Default Clivia Seed starting ( day 6)

on 1/21 I picked ripe self-pollinated seed from my own mature clivia
miniata and started it on wet pro-mix in the warmest place in my house. Of
the 5 seeds I started, I can see changes already in the micropore of 4
seeds. Not germination, yet, but hopeful. I don't see radicle development
yet, but I see enlargement of the micropores. Clean, no mold, even with
humidity levels ( 90% +) and temps ( 75° F +) in darkness, that scare me.

Before I lay out $$ for identified clivia seed, I want to know that I
understand the process of successful germination and not be operating under
the hopeful haze of happy accident.

Its NOT too late in my life to learn to grow
stuff!

Sue

Old 28-01-2004, 11:02 AM
IntarsiaCo

with
humidity levels ( 90% +) and temps ( 75° F +) in darkness

Clivia seed should be started under bright indirect sunlight for best results.
Old 28-01-2004, 12:32 PM
Sue

LOL thanks for the info! If I had bright indirect light and temp of 75°
in the same place, I wouldn't be at home in Maine in January.......

Since the radicle emerges before any leaf development occurs, I'm
rationalizing that temperature is more important for germination than light,
and in a couple weeks time the sun will be stronger, house will stay warmer
so I'll have more options of indoor location at about the same time any
leaf formation needs light for clorophyll production.

Challenges, challenges. 44.081° N lattitude is a far cry from Clivia's
native environment, so I'm just doing the best I can with what I've got.

Will keep the list posted !

Sue