Old 05-04-2003, 06:32 AM
Madgardener

Default Clivia help?

let the bloom stalk dry out and then snip it off. It needs to be in indirect
sun most of fall and winter, with watering only about once a month. DO NOT
repot it. They like to be potbound. Around February, put it in a cold room,
not freezing, but cold for 6-8 weeks, watering once a month still. around
spring time, bring it into the warmer room, and start watering every two
weeks. With luck you should eventually see a bloom spike forming if you
gave it adequate cooling off rest period. They need the time in fall and
winter to rest before starting up again. Mine is facing eastwards outside
and gets whatever rains or not we had this summer, but will come in before
frost and go upstairs in a room that gets cold around the end of December.
I will hold back water once I move it inside and since I have to do this to
my cacti and succulents as well, I will water everyone on the number of my
birthday to remember each month. If I had a large enough place to put them,
I'd winter all the cactus and succulents with the clivia because they bloom
better when THEY're cold too. (not freezing or below 39o F) hope this
helps. if you want specific help, Pen down in Australia will be back from
South Africa and she raises clivia's and can help you much more...Pen Henry
E-mail Address(es):

madgardener up on the ridge in Eastern Tennessee where her clivia has gotten
some awesome rains this week...
"newbrewser" wrote in message
.. .
Hi,

I was recently given a Clivia. A beautiful plant in bloom. I've been

keeping
it in my lounge room where it gets indirect sunlight. It's watered about
once a week.The flowers are now starting to die off.

Question - what do I do with this plant? do I cut off the spike the

flowers
were on (as advised by a friend - well meaning but I'm not sure about his
credentials :-)? How much direct sunlight does this plant need? Should I
re-pot it to a bigger pot?

Please note, my green-thumb is from having to bury dead plants! I have
absolutley NO IDEA.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

TIA

Wayne

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old 05-04-2003, 06:32 AM
David Holdom

Hi,
It depends where you live. Here in Brisbane they thrive outdoors in
shade. My mother had one outdoors in quite a cool location in NZ,
(though in a very sheltered spot and it struggled), so they are quite
adaptable. However, keep it out of direct sun. Don't repot or
transplant until you have to, as they often stop flowering for a year or
two after.

Dave