Old 29-06-2003, 01:32 AM

Default Clivia - when cut bloom stem?

Seems like I never get a handle on Clivia.
Always something I'm not sure of.

(Though in my defense, I have divided and moved
plants several times with 100% success!)

Q: When do I cut back the stem that held the
(divine!) blooms?

They are now forming the seed pods.

Should I cut the stem back to the ground? Or?

TIA

--

Persephone

Old 29-06-2003, 02:08 AM
Cereoid-UR12yo

Unless you intend to grow plants from seed, you should cut the flower scapes
after they are finished blooming. Only cut the flower scapes not the leafy
stems.

Actually the mature fruit is a fleshy berry not a pod.

Old 29-06-2003, 10:44 PM

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 01:04:20 GMT, "Cereoid-UR12yo"
wrote:

Unless you intend to grow plants from seed, you should cut the flower scapes
after they are finished blooming. Only cut the flower scapes not the leafy
stems.

OK, I gather that "flower scape" is the same as what I called
"stem that held the [ ] blooms"??

*Many* URLS for Clivia, but didn't find that bit of info,
which I guess was obvious to all but me.

Actually the mature fruit is a fleshy berry not a pod.

OH?? Well, how does it propagate then? Straight question.

Thanks for your help.

--

Persephone

.. .

Old 30-06-2003, 01:08 AM
Cereoid-UR12yo

At this point, it is probably best you be made aware of the Clivia page for
more details.

http://www.shieldsgardens.com/amaryllids/clivia.html

Scroll down the page for details on Clivia culture and seed propagation.

They say Clivia is a primative genus but actually the indehiscent berry
fruit, leathery evergreen leaves, loss of bulb and showy large bird
pollinated flowers are all highly derived characters in the Amaryllidaceae.

wrote:

Unless you intend to grow plants from seed, you should cut the flower

scapes
after they are finished blooming. Only cut the flower scapes not the

leafy
stems.

OK, I gather that "flower scape" is the same as what I called
"stem that held the [ ] blooms"??

*Many* URLS for Clivia, but didn't find that bit of info,
which I guess was obvious to all but me.

Actually the mature fruit is a fleshy berry not a pod.

OH?? Well, how does it propagate then? Straight question.

Thanks for your help.

--

Persephone

wrote in message
.. .

Seems like I never get a handle on Clivia.
Always something I'm not sure of.

(Though in my defense, I have divided and moved
plants several times with 100% success!)

Q: When do I cut back the stem that held the
(divine!) blooms?

They are now forming the seed pods.

Should I cut the stem back to the ground? Or?

TIA

--

Persephone

[IMG] code is On

Clivia-4939-(Clivia miniata) BarbaraH[_2_] Garden Photos 4 30-10-2013 08:26 AM
Weird Stem - Weird Stem.JPG [01/01] Chris Savas Orchid Photos 0 20-09-2008 03:29 PM
To cut or not to cut ? Allen Lai Lawns 4 31-10-2003 11:22 PM
Phalaenopsis Bloom Stem rosemary Orchids 2 22-07-2003 03:57 AM
To cut or not to cut .... Allen Lai Lawns 9 12-06-2003 04:56 AM