Old 30-01-2004, 04:46 PM
Elroy Willis

Default Freeze Proof Tomato?

Hi,

This year I grew some tomatoes in a pot on my patio, and after several
hard freezes, after all the other tomatoes had turned to a greenish
mush, there was left a single red tomato, with a skin that didn't seem
to be susceptible to all the previous freezes.

I couldn't really believe that there was an actual tomato which
withstood all the freezes we've had here in north texas, but on
the vine was a single tomato that seems to be somewhat impervious
to the cold. The skin isn't even wrinkled, and it looks like the
tomatoes I picked from the plant back in early December before
all the freezes started in from time to time.

I wonder what to do with it, and think maybe I should save the seeds
inside the tomato and try to start a new cold-resistant strain that
might prove profitable in some way.

What should I do to protect the seeds and start up a batch from
those seeds at this point?

I can't really tell which original type of tomato it was, since I had
three varieties planted in the same pot and I didn't keep track of
which plants were which. One was Early Girl, one was Heat Wave,
and I can't remember the other type.

Is there a good chance that if I keep the seeds and grow some
plants from them that all the plants will be more cold resistant than
the previous generation?

--
Elroy Willis
EAP Chief Editor and Newshound