Old 08-02-2004, 06:06 PM
Michelle

Default pineapples

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 11:27:51 GMT, Frogleg wrote:

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 18:51:51 -0700, Janice
wrote:

I see others have answered, but thought I'd mention a book the library
*might* have. I read about pineapples, and all the other plants he
grew from other "leftovers,"it's: The After Dinner Gardening Book.

I *must* have that book! I *love* growing things from unlikely seeds
or cuttings. Usually have a spindly avocado around, and am still
trying with citrus. Now if I could just grow shrimp from a shrimp
shell... :-)

Do you know who the Author is ? This book sounds great

Old 09-02-2004, 12:12 AM
Skirmishd

I see others have answered, but thought I'd mention a book the library
*might* have. I read about pineapples, and all the other plants he
grew from other "leftovers,"it's: The After Dinner Gardening Book.

I *must* have that book! I *love* growing things from unlikely seeds
or cuttings. Usually have a spindly avocado around, and am still
trying with citrus. Now if I could just grow shrimp from a shrimp
shell... :-)

With avocadoes, nip the stem quite early to make a bushier plant.

We used to have a little orange tree in our house in Michigan, from a seed from
an orange, of course. We also had a peach tree in the back yard from a peach
pit.

Old 09-02-2004, 06:32 PM
Frogleg

wrote:

I see others have answered, but thought I'd mention a book the library
*might* have. I read about pineapples, and all the other plants he
grew from other "leftovers,"it's: The After Dinner Gardening Book.

Do you know who the Author is ? This book sounds great

Google is your friend. Author: Langer, Richard W.
Old 10-02-2004, 02:45 PM

Hi Skirmishd

Did your peaches get lots of insect larvea in it?
In my country Mauritius, peaches are infested with insect larvea. We can`t
get proper good peaches without using lots of insecticides.

Old 14-02-2004, 07:32 PM

I've had success with them by just cutting off the tops and sticking them in
the ground. I actually forgot about them and when I checked on them a few
months later, they each had a small pineapple on them. Make that a "very"
small pineapple. Wild parrots ate them however, so I guess I'll never know
what they tasted like.

Barbara C.

"Michelle" wrote in message
I'de like to grow a pineapple from the top of the fruit just to see if
I can do it .
If I can I'll have a neat plant and If I cant' well I'd have thrown
out the top any way after eating it.
any one know how to cultivate a plant from the top.
I looked for a web site to tell me hoe to do it but could not find one
thanks
Michelle

Old 18-02-2004, 05:32 AM
Michelle

I found the book on Half .com fo r
99 cents great huh
and the shipping is2 dollars
I'm so happy and it is a new copy not used
so I ordered it
michelle
On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 02:01:40 -0700, Janice
wrote:

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 01:31:33 -0500, Michelle
wrote:

On 09 Feb 2004 00:05:49 GMT, (Skirmishd) wrote:

I see others have answered, but thought I'd mention a book the library
*might* have. I read about pineapples, and all the other plants he
grew from other "leftovers,"it's: The After Dinner Gardening Book.

I *must* have that book! I *love* growing things from unlikely seeds
or cuttings. Usually have a spindly avocado around, and am still
trying with citrus. Now if I could just grow shrimp from a shrimp
shell... :-)

With avocadoes, nip the stem quite early to make a bushier plant.

We used to have a little orange tree in our house in Michigan, from a seed from
an orange, of course. We also had a peach tree in the back yard from a peach
pit.

No way I've tryed my whole life when I was a kid to grow a peach and
my mom said it would never work and still I tried time and time again
and nothing never got one how did you do it did you just put it in the
ground and wamo it grew?
I never got an orange seed to sprout either

There's a peach tree growing in my front yard that volunteered, grew
from a fallen peach. Elberta peach tree was the parent, offspring
could be either self-pollinated peach or could be at that time there
were other peach and nectarines growing in the yard, but I'm pretty
sure it's just a self-pollinated elberta peach offspring.

The After-Dinner Gardening Book by Richard W. Langer is out of print,
but if you do a search on it, you'll find many prices from 99 cents to
$16.99 are the two extremes I saw in just a couple minutes, probably
could be found on e-bay too. Never can tell ;-)

Old 18-02-2004, 05:42 AM
Michelle

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 14:29:32 -0500, wrote:

I've had success with them by just cutting off the tops and sticking them in
the ground. I actually forgot about them and when I checked on them a few
months later, they each had a small pineapple on them. Make that a "very"
small pineapple. Wild parrots ate them however, so I guess I'll never know
what they tasted like.

Barbara C.

He HE well at least someone enjoyed them I couldn't grow a pineapple
here in my back yard first of all I don't have one two story condo
and second of all I live in pennsylvania I think it would be too
cold but that is reassuring sadly however my stupid cat made a meal
out of the crown I had so successfully rooted I'm goint to neuter
that darn beast next time he mutilates one of my lovely plants.
I even plant that pain some grass of his own in a large pot and he
rolls in it and chews on it but it seems he does not eat them he just
chews and that pest still sometimes wreks my plants I can always
find little spiders from my spider plant on the floor.
One day I almost broke my foot thinking a small one was a huge spider
the araccnid kind well it was dark and it was freshly chewed and
wet so it sort of smooshed when I steped on it bare foot
LOL well I'm having a little sucess with spraying the bottom leaves
with dish liquid mixture When he got a taste of it he gave me a nasty
look and sulked away.
I can really get OT sometimes
sorry
Michelle

"Michelle" wrote in message
.. .
I'de like to grow a pineapple from the top of the fruit just to see if
I can do it .
If I can I'll have a neat plant and If I cant' well I'd have thrown
out the top any way after eating it.
any one know how to cultivate a plant from the top.
I looked for a web site to tell me hoe to do it but could not find one
thanks
Michelle

[IMG] code is On

pineapples Michelle Texas 10 10-02-2004 10:31 PM
Pineapples and Bromelain Beverly Erlebacher Plant Science 3 12-07-2003 08:20 AM
Bromeliads - Pineapples Lambert Plant Science 26 28-04-2003 03:44 PM
Pineapples Iris Cohen Plant Science 2 26-04-2003 01:29 PM
Pineapples david United Kingdom 1 06-12-2002 12:13 PM