Old 02-02-2004, 03:02 AM
Michelle

Default pineapples

I'de like to grow a pineapple from the top of the fruit just to see if
I can do it .
If I can I'll have a neat plant and If I cant' well I'd have thrown
out the top any way after eating it.
any one know how to cultivate a plant from the top.
I looked for a web site to tell me hoe to do it but could not find one
thanks
Michelle

Old 02-02-2004, 04:02 AM
WiGard

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 21:47:15 -0500, Michelle wrote:

I'de like to grow a pineapple from the top of the fruit just to see if I
can do it .
If I can I'll have a neat plant and If I cant' well I'd have thrown out
the top any way after eating it.
any one know how to cultivate a plant from the top. I looked for a web
site to tell me hoe to do it but could not find one thanks
Michelle

I found this among other things by doing a search at www.google.com and
using keywords "pinapple propagation"

http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/pineapple.html
Old 02-02-2004, 04:32 PM
len gardener

g'day michelle,

easy just twist the top of the pineapple peel off the bottom couple or
so layers of smaller leaves this will create a stub and you will be
able to see the nodules where the roots will come from, plant this
pretty much into any potting medium water it in keep it reasonably
well watered and in a place where it will get good sun even direct
full on sun.

they say if you let the top dry out a bit for 2 or 3 weeks will fruit
quicker, but then in your neck of the woods fruiting may take a long
time to occure anyway.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

http://home.dnet.aunz.com/gardnlen/
Old 04-02-2004, 02:02 AM
Janice

wrote:

I'de like to grow a pineapple from the top of the fruit just to see if
I can do it .
If I can I'll have a neat plant and If I cant' well I'd have thrown
out the top any way after eating it.
any one know how to cultivate a plant from the top.
I looked for a web site to tell me hoe to do it but could not find one
thanks
Michelle

I see others have answered, but thought I'd mention a book the library
*might* have. I read about pineapples, and all the other plants he
grew from other "leftovers,"it's: The After Dinner Gardening Book.

Janice

Old 07-02-2004, 12:38 AM
chaz

wrote:

I'de like to grow a pineapple from the top of the fruit just to see if
I can do it .
If I can I'll have a neat plant and If I cant' well I'd have thrown
out the top any way after eating it.
any one know how to cultivate a plant from the top.
I looked for a web site to tell me hoe to do it but could not find one
thanks
Michelle

I see others have answered, but thought I'd mention a book the library
*might* have. I read about pineapples, and all the other plants he
grew from other "leftovers,"it's: The After Dinner Gardening Book.

Janice

I have grown them successfully by simply placing the twisted off top in
moist soil and it will root on its own.

chaz

Old 07-02-2004, 01:32 AM
David Hill

http://www.lofthouse.com/hobby/garden/pineapple.html

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 07-02-2004, 05:37 AM
Michelle

Oh I'm so excited I read the website that was provided and I decided
to root it in some water with plant food and it's already working the
top looks better and little roots are protruding from teh place where
I stripped off the bottom leaves from the crown .
Thanks so much soon I will pot it It looks cool My kids are thrilled
Thanks again
michelle

Old 07-02-2004, 11:40 AM

Dear Michelle,

Be aware that pine apple takes several months near a whole year before it
gives fruit.
And it needs hot climate, so it should be cultivated in a greenhouse to get
better results.
I am from a hot tropical country, Mauritius.
Once I tried to plant pineapple, after waiting for around 6 months, I could
not longer wait. I just tore it out of the soil 7 threw it away.
I learned much later that it takes around 1 year before it gives results.

Joseph

Old 08-02-2004, 02:37 PM
Frogleg

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 18:51:51 -0700, Janice
wrote:

I see others have answered, but thought I'd mention a book the library
*might* have. I read about pineapples, and all the other plants he
grew from other "leftovers,"it's: The After Dinner Gardening Book.

I *must* have that book! I *love* growing things from unlikely seeds
or cuttings. Usually have a spindly avocado around, and am still
trying with citrus. Now if I could just grow shrimp from a shrimp
shell... :-)
Old 08-02-2004, 02:38 PM
Frogleg

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 14:40:37 +0400, "A" wrote:

Be aware that pine apple takes several months near a whole year before it
gives fruit.
And it needs hot climate, so it should be cultivated in a greenhouse to get
better results.
I am from a hot tropical country, Mauritius.
Once I tried to plant pineapple, after waiting for around 6 months, I could
not longer wait. I just tore it out of the soil 7 threw it away.
I learned much later that it takes around 1 year before it gives results.

The fun of many of these trials aren't so much producing fruit, as
making something grow. I often plant ginger and have achieved several
pretty plants, but by no means a sure supply of ginger. A sprouting
garlic clove is worth planting, and a chunk of horseradish must be
confined, or it will take over your garden. Even if not suited to the
outdoor climate, a pineapple or citrus may be an interesting
houseplant.
Old 08-02-2004, 05:32 PM
MLEBLANCA

In article , Frogleg
writes:

The fun of many of these trials aren't so much producing fruit, as
making something grow. I often plant ginger and have achieved several
pretty plants, but by no means a sure supply of ginger. A sprouting
garlic clove is worth planting, and a chunk of horseradish must be
confined, or it will take over your garden. Even if not suited to the
outdoor climate, a pineapple or citrus may be an interesting
houseplant.

And don't forget the ''sweet potato in a jar'' plant.
(Put the end of the potato into water as you would
an avocado seed)
You can also have nice plants for outside:
when the stems on the sweet potato are about 3-4 inches long,
Gently pull them off and put the ends in about 1/2 inch water.
As soon as roots begin to develop, either plant outside or into pots.
They can go outside when danger of frost is past, (very frost tender.)
They will even bloom with small, morning glory-like flowers.

Emilie
Nor Cal

[IMG] code is On

pineapples Michelle Texas 10 10-02-2004 10:31 PM
Pineapples and Bromelain Beverly Erlebacher Plant Science 3 12-07-2003 08:20 AM
Bromeliads - Pineapples Lambert Plant Science 26 28-04-2003 03:44 PM
Pineapples Iris Cohen Plant Science 2 26-04-2003 01:29 PM
Pineapples david United Kingdom 1 06-12-2002 12:13 PM