Old 04-02-2004, 04:35 AM
Joseph Chong

Default best plant for dry shade

Hey
Under my deck is an area that previous owner just covered with flat pebbles.
I am thinking about greening it up. I live in a zone 8-9, Vancouver BC.
The deck faces north and not a lot of light but enough in summer to grow
some lilies near that area.
Any ideas for a good perrineal gorund cover that will live in those
conditions. Not much water will get there, unless I water it. Nothing too
invasive either.
jc

Old 04-02-2004, 07:12 AM
Cereus-validus

Have you considered fungi or slime molds?

What in the freak is a perrineal gorund cover ?
Anything like canvas drop cloth to put over a perennial with a bad yeast
infection?

Old 04-02-2004, 10:02 AM
paghat

In article Vu_Tb.396795$X%5.163750@pd7tw2no, "Joseph Chong"
wrote:

Hey
Under my deck is an area that previous owner just covered with flat pebbles.
I am thinking about greening it up. I live in a zone 8-9, Vancouver BC.
The deck faces north and not a lot of light but enough in summer to grow
some lilies near that area.
Any ideas for a good perrineal gorund cover that will live in those
conditions. Not much water will get there, unless I water it. Nothing too
invasive either.
jc

Vinca major will thrive in such conditions, with big purple-blue flowers
&amp large evergreen leaves. It snakes about in the shadows & will not
leave the underside of a deck if that would mean crossing sunny areas. But
if there is a strip of perpetual shade, it will find it & spread through
the shade. It has an invasive rep but in reality its unwillingness to
cross sunny areas & the ease with which it can be pulled up make it easy
to contain -- it's only invasive when ignored & where it can find its way
from one shady spot to the next via gullies or other shady strips. There
are a couple of fancier cultivars that are more delicate but should still
do fine in "under-the-deck" type locations.

Alternatively Cyclamen hederifolium would be a good choice, as dry shade
is their thing; they bloom autumn & keep their ornate leaves until March.
Can't plant both cyclamens & Vinca major though, as the big vinca would
completely overwhelm the very short cyclamens.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 04-02-2004, 11:02 AM
Ricky

"Joseph Chong" wrote in message
Hey
Under my deck is an area that previous owner just covered with flat

pebbles.
I am thinking about greening it up. I live in a zone 8-9, Vancouver BC.
The deck faces north and not a lot of light but enough in summer to grow
some lilies near that area.
Any ideas for a good perrineal gorund cover that will live in those
conditions. Not much water will get there, unless I water it. Nothing too
invasive either.

What's wrong with pebbles? How often do you look under the deck?? Why not
plant stuff on the outside of the deck that will hide the under the deck
area???

Old 04-02-2004, 01:02 PM
Dwight Sipler

Cereus-validus wrote:

...What in the freak is a perrineal gorund cover ?...

In the interest of modesty, you really want to cover your gorunds.

Old 04-02-2004, 02:45 PM
Ricky

"Dwight Sipler" wrote in message
Cereus-validus wrote:

...What in the freak is a perrineal gorund cover ?...

In the interest of modesty, you really want to cover your gorunds.

unless you are watering

Old 04-02-2004, 02:48 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Joseph Chong" wrote in message
Hey
Under my deck is an area that previous owner just covered with flat

pebbles.
I am thinking about greening it up. I live in a zone 8-9, Vancouver BC.
The deck faces north and not a lot of light but enough in summer to grow
some lilies near that area.
Any ideas for a good perrineal gorund cover that will live in those
conditions. Not much water will get there, unless I water it. Nothing too
invasive either.
jc

The ideal plant for these conditions is Euphorbia amygdaloides var. robbiae
(aka Euphorbia robbiae, Mrs Robb's Bonnet). It is a stoloniferous evergreen
groundcover that is very happy in dry shade - I have used it many times
under decking and it works great. Gets about a foot tall, increasing to
about 16" when in bloom. Spreads gradually under these conditions but much
faster if given lots of water. Will tolerate extremely low light levels and
considerable dryness.

pam - gardengal

Old 04-02-2004, 04:58 PM
Stephen M. Henning

"Joseph Chong" wrote:

Under my deck is an area that previous owner just covered with flat pebbles.
I am thinking about greening it up. I live in a zone 8-9, Vancouver BC.
The deck faces north and not a lot of light but enough in summer to grow
some lilies near that area.

We have dense dry shade under some spruce trees that grow nearly to the
gound and pachysandra thrives there. We also have some shade tolerant
rhododendron that have survived these conditions. We use junipers and
rhododendron on the edges where there is more light.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman

Old 05-02-2004, 07:10 PM
Phisherman

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 04:25:25 GMT, "Joseph Chong"
wrote:

Hey
Under my deck is an area that previous owner just covered with flat pebbles.
I am thinking about greening it up. I live in a zone 8-9, Vancouver BC.
The deck faces north and not a lot of light but enough in summer to grow
some lilies near that area.
Any ideas for a good perrineal gorund cover that will live in those
conditions. Not much water will get there, unless I water it. Nothing too
invasive either.
jc

I have gravel under the deck. But most neighbors have something
planted or store stuff there. They are dealing with skunks, possums,
raccoons, snakes, mosquitoes, cats and rodents. The big advantage of
gravel is that I have not had any problems with animals under the
deck.
Old 05-02-2004, 07:13 PM
Phisherman

wrote:

Hey
Under my deck is an area that previous owner just covered with flat pebbles.
I am thinking about greening it up. I live in a zone 8-9, Vancouver BC.
The deck faces north and not a lot of light but enough in summer to grow
some lilies near that area.
Any ideas for a good perrineal gorund cover that will live in those
conditions. Not much water will get there, unless I water it. Nothing too
invasive either.
jc

I have gravel under the deck. But most neighbors have something
planted or store stuff there. They are dealing with skunks, possums,
raccoons, snakes, mosquitoes, cats and rodents. The big advantage of
gravel is that I have not had any problems with animals under the
deck.

[IMG] code is On

ground cover for dry shade paghat Gardening 1 01-04-2005 10:26 PM
dry dry dry Rosie United Kingdom 0 02-04-2004 04:21 AM
A different dry shade problem Steve Harris United Kingdom 45 25-03-2004 02:59 PM
A different dry shade problem Steve Harris United Kingdom 0 23-03-2004 12:21 AM
Shade shade shade stephane Boutin United Kingdom 6 18-05-2003 06:32 AM