Old 05-02-2004, 07:14 PM
Elisheva Bailey

Default Getting rid of Calla Lillys

We moved into our new home last and year and last spring an entire
area of Calla Lillys errupted near a fence. The area is about 3 feet
wide and at least 15 feet long. Full of Lillys, we wanted to use the
space for something else so I cut them off, but I guess that didn't
work because they all came back again and keep growing.

Any ideas on how to get rid of them? Round-up?

Thanks!

Old 05-02-2004, 07:14 PM
WiGard

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 07:38:07 -0800, Elisheva Bailey wrote:

We moved into our new home last and year and last spring an entire area of
Calla Lillys errupted near a fence. The area is about 3 feet wide and at
least 15 feet long. Full of Lillys, we wanted to use the space for
something else so I cut them off, but I guess that didn't work because
they all came back again and keep growing.

Any ideas on how to get rid of them? Round-up?

Thanks!

Dig up the bulbs or heavily rototill the area when they first start to
come up. Do this enough and it should discourage them.

Roundup works, too.

Are they Callas or Cannas?

Old 06-02-2004, 02:02 AM
Starlord

Dig up a bunch, put in box, contact me and I'll send you some postage, I've got
5ac's of Desert land I can plant them in.

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
World of Dahlias Slideshowv1.0 $10.00
for Windows machines. Email:

"Elisheva Bailey" wrote in message
om...
Well, if anyone lives in the San Jose, CA area, send me an email and
if you dig me up, they are yours....They are currently blooming and
are about 3 feet tall.

Otherwise, I'll try Roundup on a few and see if that works.

Eli

Janice wrote in message

. ..
On 5 Feb 2004 07:38:07 -0800,
(Elisheva Bailey)
wrote:

We moved into our new home last and year and last spring an entire
area of Calla Lillys errupted near a fence. The area is about 3 feet
wide and at least 15 feet long. Full of Lillys, we wanted to use the
space for something else so I cut them off, but I guess that didn't
work because they all came back again and keep growing.

Any ideas on how to get rid of them? Round-up?

Thanks!

Lord A'mighty! I can't imagine anyone wanting to get rid of calla
Lilies! I don't think they're hardy where I live so the winter would
get rid of them for me.

Those things are insanely expensive to buy, I think if you posted a
"free calla lily bulbs, you dig" and people would take care of that
problem for you RIGHT NOW!

Some associate them with funerals and so may not want them, but other
than those few, I think most anyone who knows what they are would
fight over 'em ;-) Wish I was close enough, and in a climate they'd
like, I'd be right over with a shovel.

Janice

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old 06-02-2004, 06:33 AM
Cereus-validus

Dig them up and give them to someone who appreciates them.

There are many out there who would just love having them.

Old 06-02-2004, 03:41 PM
Heidi

Wow--where do you live? If you were anywhere near me, I'd dig them up
myself if you let me keep them.

Heidi

Cereus-validus wrote:

Dig them up and give them to someone who appreciates them.

There are many out there who would just love having them.

. com...

Old 06-02-2004, 04:08 PM
Betsy

Are you sure they are Calla Lillies? They sound like ordinary day lilies to
me. What color are they?

Old 07-02-2004, 04:42 PM
Stephen M. Henning

"Elisheva Bailey" wrote:

We moved into our new home last and year and last spring an entire
area of Calla Lillys errupted near a fence. The area is about 3 feet
wide and at least 15 feet long. Full of Lillys, we wanted to use the
space for something else so I cut them off, but I guess that didn't
work because they all came back again and keep growing.

This is a very common problem in New Zealand. Calla Lilies are the
South African Zantedeschia aethiopica. They are frequently called the
white arum lily and lily of the nile. They are frost tender and will
grow in boggy conditions or even in shallow water. This site from the
obnoxious weed site of the government of New Zealand:

http://www.ebop.govt.nz/weeds/weed17.asp

has this advice on controlling unwanted Calla Lilies:

Physical Control: Slash stems and dig out all rhizomes.

Disposal: Stems and leaves may be left to mulch. Do not mulch or
compost rhizomes because they always resprout. Bury rhizomes at a
landfill or dry and burn thoroughly.

Chemical Control: Spray foliage or slash stems and spray cut stumps.
(i) Escort + Pulse. Apply from spring to late autumn. Rate
- Handgun 25 g Escort + 100 mls Pulse/100 litres water. Knapsack 5 g
Escort + 10 mls Pulse/10 litres water. Mistblower 10 g Escort + 10 mls
Pulse/10 litres water.

(ii) Roundup + Pulse. Rate - Handgun 2 litres Roundup + 200 mls
Pulse/100 litres water. Knapsack 150 mls + 20 mls Pulse/10 litres water.

Recommended Approach: Isolate a problem area and systematically
eradicate plant from the site. It spreads relatively slowly so the
systematic eradication can be possible over quite large areas.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Old 09-02-2004, 01:25 AM
Janice

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 06:12:48 GMT, "Cereus-validus"
wrote:

Dig them up and give them to someone who appreciates them.

There are many out there who would just love having them.

I may be wrong, but I think the point was she didn't want to DIG that
much. Otherwise she'd probably have dug 'em out. My apologies if I
was wrong!

Janice

Old 09-02-2004, 01:32 AM
Janice

wrote:

Dig them up and give them to someone who appreciates them.

There are many out there who would just love having them.

I may be wrong, but I think the point was she didn't want to DIG that
much. Otherwise she'd probably have dug 'em out. My apologies if I
was wrong!

Janice

Elisheva Bailey wrote in message
. com...
We moved into our new home last and year and last spring an entire
area of Calla Lillys errupted near a fence. The area is about 3 feet
wide and at least 15 feet long. Full of Lillys, we wanted to use the
space for something else so I cut them off, but I guess that didn't
work because they all came back again and keep growing.

Any ideas on how to get rid of them? Round-up?

Thanks!

[IMG] code is On

Shhhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh erroneous info yet again! Lillys not $5.44 here! Tristan Ponds 4 11-03-2007 01:13 PM
WOW..did these lillys surface quick ~Roy~ Ponds 2 23-03-2005 03:59 PM
??¿¿ Lillys REBEL JOE Ponds 1 06-10-2004 04:15 PM
lillys trevor Ponds (alternative) 2 04-06-2004 09:02 PM
Getting rid of Calla Lillys Elisheva Bailey Gardening 5 05-02-2004 07:14 PM