Old 11-02-2004, 05:32 PM
Kibomax

Default Pruning carex flagellifera

Hopefully you can give me some help. Should I cut my
carex flagellifera (weeping brown sedge) to the ground
or not? I've checked several sources (books, web), some
say cut it down to 1" or 2" from the ground in late winter,
others say leave it and only prune it when it starts to
look kind of ratty. Any advice?

BTW, I live in Seattle and planted the sedge last June.

Thanks!

Old 12-02-2004, 02:32 AM
Pam - gardengal

"Kibomax" wrote in message
Hopefully you can give me some help. Should I cut my
carex flagellifera (weeping brown sedge) to the ground
or not? I've checked several sources (books, web), some
say cut it down to 1" or 2" from the ground in late winter,
others say leave it and only prune it when it starts to
look kind of ratty. Any advice?

BTW, I live in Seattle and planted the sedge last June.

Thanks!

DON'T cut it back at all - you can kill if it you do. Evergreen grasses
don't require pruning and some (such as the carex) really resent it. You can
certainly groom it now to get rid of any dead fronds. With gloved hands - it
is quite sharp - gently pull through the fronds. The dead ones will come
away easily. You may have to do it repeatedly to get them all. That should
improve its appearance considerably.

pam - gardengal
(also in Seattle)