Old 15-02-2004, 10:42 PM
Salty Thumb

Default crabapple disease?

Ann wrote in
:

"Bumpass, VA 23024" expounded:

Pam - gardengal wrote:

it is best if you have the problem ID'd correctly, not by a bunch of
yahoos on a newsgroup

My point exactly. Believe NOTHING you read here, no matter who writes
it.

Actually that isn't true. Anyone with brains can pretty much figure
out who should be listened to and who shouldn't be listened too, it
just takes a few days of reading.

Sure there are certainly some people who generally have good information,
but nobody's perfect.

To bumpass:
If you want to believe nothing you read here, why bother reading?

More clearly, should a) you beileve the opposite of what you read here or
b) believe only what you haven't in particular read here.
Old 15-02-2004, 11:11 PM
Salty Thumb

Ann wrote in news:7uov20lilb9hf1gl8cspfdscjkqlua4fjt@
4ax.com:

"Bumpass, VA 23024" expounded:

If you had cattle brains or spinal cord from a cow with Bovine
Spongiform Encephalopathy (Mad Cow) you wouldn't just toss it in the
trash, would you? Of course not, you would burn it.

But why would you burn it? It's a well-known fact that the prions
that cause mad cow can't be destroyed by burning. I wonder if trolls
can be dealt with that way.........

Tolkien trolls are susceptible to sunlight. Maybe you can get rid of
newsgroup trolls by dragging them outside ... unless they have boots of
wireless networking or some such.

Old 17-02-2004, 03:12 PM
Beecrofter

Ann wrote in message
But why would you burn it? It's a well-known fact that the prions
that cause mad cow can't be destroyed by burning. I wonder if trolls
can be dealt with that way.........

Bullshit, cooking won't destroy prions burning will.
Old 17-02-2004, 05:12 PM

actually, yes it can be destroyed by heating.. high heat of course. it can also be
destroyed by anything breaks down proteins like proteases. Ingrid

Ann wrote:
But why would you burn it? It's a well-known fact that the prions
that cause mad cow can't be destroyed by burning. I wonder if trolls
can be dealt with that way.........

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 18-02-2004, 01:02 AM
Salty Thumb

Ann wrote in
:

expounded:

actually, yes it can be destroyed by heating.. high heat of course.
it can also be destroyed by anything breaks down proteins like
proteases. Ingrid

Ingrid, I heard that they couldn't be destroyed by heat, at least the
heat generated by a wood fed fire. I know cooking doesn't destroy
them.

http://w3.aces.uiuc.edu/AnSci/BSE/Prion_general.htm
Prions remain infective after sterilizing levels of radiation, formalin
exposure, extremes of pH, non-polar organic solvents, burying for years,
passing through 0.1 µm filters (2.2 µm filters remove bacteria) and
cremation at 343°C (Marsh, 1991 ) or 360°C

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives...9435.Ch.r.html
What is the temperature of a normal wood fire?
.... can range from wood to plasics, to hydrocarbons such as gasoline,
temperatures could range from 800 to 900 degrees farenheit for wood, 800 to
1300 degrees farenheit for plastics and ,perhaps the most dangerous and
most

800 F ~= 426 C
342 C ~= 650 F

Inconclusive :-(

Somebody got a better temperature?

Old 19-02-2004, 01:02 AM

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/news_and_ev...ype=arc hived
http://www.wr2.net/process/efficacy.htm
* Therefore, surgical instruments that have been in contact with tonsils, the
spleen, lymph nodes, as well as tissues of the central nervous system and the eye of
those with nvCJD are potentially infectious, even after sterilization by any
conventionally used sterilization method.
* Clearly the most effective way to inactivate all prions in tests has been to expose
them to sodium hydroxide at elevated temperatures. Boiling in a 1M solution for 60
seconds completely inactivated all prions in one study, and 15 minutes in another
study.

... plain old cooking is not hot enough. Ingrid

You wrote:

Ann wrote in
:

expounded:

[...]

Salty Thumb wrote:

Ann wrote in
:

expounded:

[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 19-02-2004, 01:12 AM

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/news_and_ev...ype=arc hived
http://www.wr2.net/process/efficacy.htm
* Therefore, surgical instruments that have been in contact with tonsils, the
spleen, lymph nodes, as well as tissues of the central nervous system and the eye of
those with nvCJD are potentially infectious, even after sterilization by any
conventionally used sterilization method.
* Clearly the most effective way to inactivate all prions in tests has been to expose
them to sodium hydroxide at elevated temperatures. Boiling in a 1M solution for 60
seconds completely inactivated all prions in one study, and 15 minutes in another
study.

... plain old cooking is not hot enough. Ingrid

You wrote:

Ann wrote in
:

expounded:

[...]

[...]