Old 17-02-2004, 02:04 PM
Dwight Sipler

Default greens for indoor cat

lil wrote:

What would be some safe edible plants for my indoor cat?

Your local pet store probably has some "cat grass". They come in
something like a 1 oz package for around $2-3. The grass is probably a
mixture of things, but what it looks like is oats and winter rye. You
can get 50 lb of winter rye at Agway for about $10.
Old 20-02-2004, 06:32 AM
Janice

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 21:53:52 +0400, "A" wrote:

What about catnip or something like that?

I heard that cats love catnip, but I don`t know if they eat it or they love
its smell.

Most of my cats would eat it. One cat was so green starved when I
brought in some young garlic plants that were growing like weeds
around here, I no sooner put it in the sink and turned around, the cat
had it out of the sink and on the floor. Of course he couldn't eat
it, and I took it away from him, but they will get so starved for
plant matter they'll eat anything that comes in the house.

Plus, never underestimate a cat's ability to get to a plant. I
brought in some tiny Johnny jump ups one year, just 3 and I put them
on a book shelf in a shot glass. The shelf was at eye level, nothing
near it to get on to walk onto the shelf as everything was stacked
with junk, and the shelf was covered with junk too. I have NO idea
how a cat got up there, they manage while I was gone for an hour or
two. Shot glass and water was there, but the flowers were gone!

We bring in a few leaves now and then of catnip, but you don't want to
give them much more than a few leaves.. small ones.. or be prepared to
deal with a cat with diarrhea. Not fun with a long haired cat!

I will look for a chunk of grass for the cats this year. I'll pick an
area, trim it down short, hose it down and shelter it from other cats,
let it grow up again and put some in a pot and bring it in after
watering it well as well as washing down the grass to get rid of
anything on it. I would just plant some grass seed in a pot, but I
don't want to buy a big box, and I don't know of anywhere close by to
send people to buy a handful of seed. I'm not able to go out and do
much anymore, but there are folks living with me I can send to do
stuff.

Janice
Old 24-02-2004, 01:24 PM
Flip

Try Catgrass, Wheat Grass, or Alfalfa sprouts. And never mind those whose
brians have turned to mush and cannot give straight answers.

"zhanataya" wrote in message
On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 00:25:20 -0600, "B & J"
wrote:

"zhanataya" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 23:55:11 -0600, "B & J"
wrote:

"zhanataya" wrote in message
.. .
On 16 Feb 2004 00:16:18 GMT, (Bill Spohn) wrote:

What would be some safe edible plants for my indoor cat?

Dieffenbachia.....?

I thought that one was reserved for dogs?

Naw, just for the dogs who suggest it!

John

But it won't mute the fingers. :-)

Then may their fingers be blistered and may the return as rats in their

next
incarnation with no fingers to vent their spleen! Marilyn and I like

cats,
Zhan.

John

Me too!!! I still have three. KB went to the rainbow bridge last
year. I still miss him.

Old 24-02-2004, 01:49 PM
Flip

"zhanataya" wrote in message
On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 00:25:20 -0600, "B & J"
wrote:

"zhanataya" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 23:55:11 -0600, "B & J"
wrote:

"zhanataya" wrote in message
.. .
On 16 Feb 2004 00:16:18 GMT, (Bill Spohn) wrote:

What would be some safe edible plants for my indoor cat?

Dieffenbachia.....?

I thought that one was reserved for dogs?

Naw, just for the dogs who suggest it!

John

But it won't mute the fingers. :-)

Then may their fingers be blistered and may the return as rats in their

next
incarnation with no fingers to vent their spleen! Marilyn and I like

cats,
Zhan.

John

Me too!!! I still have three. KB went to the rainbow bridge last
year. I still miss him.

[IMG] code is On

Is a animal chaser/cat utrasonic cat deterrent harmful? [email protected] United Kingdom 3 21-04-2015 09:40 AM
greens for indoor cat lil Gardening 0 15-02-2004 11:14 PM
warm weather greens Johnny Kuo North Carolina 1 15-03-2003 07:08 PM
beet greens zxcvbob Edible Gardening 1 01-02-2003 12:33 PM
Growing greens indoors JTULL5 Edible Gardening 5 28-01-2003 10:37 PM