Old 16-02-2004, 01:02 AM
Peter Chrisbacher

Default How to Find Pawpaws in the Wild?

I grew up in northern New Jersey and can't remember ever having come
across a Pawpaw tree in the wild - it seems like I was just outside
their range.

I now live in southeastern pennsylvania and I'd like to locate some
wild pawpaws, hopefully nearby, with the intent of obtaining some seed
and/or seedlings/suckers so I can establish a couple of "wild" trees in
my yard (along with some named varieties I have on order). I'm
specifically interested in wild trees - not cultivated ones.

Can anyone give me any "tricks" for finding pawpaw trees or know of
locations where they've seen pawpaws growing wild in PA, DE, NJ, or MD?
I'd be willing to travel an hour or two to see/find them.

Thanks

Pete Chrisbacher

Old 16-02-2004, 03:02 AM
David J Bockman

According to Dirr (I'm going to have to make a new acronym, ATD), Asimina
triloba (Common Pawpaw, Custard Apple) is indigenous from New York to
Florida, west to Nebraska and Texas. (Introduced 1736). Asminia parviflora
is indigenous in the Piedmont and Coastal Plain from Virginia to Mississippi
and east Texas.

I find them with regularity (although they are solitary trees or small
clumps usually) in dry hardwood stands and lowlying (riverbottom) areas,
almost always in fertile soil (lots of leaf mold present) here in Virginia.

FWIW, ATD they are difficult to transplant unless quite young (6').

Dave

Old 16-02-2004, 01:12 PM
John McGaw

"Peter Chrisbacher" wrote in message
I grew up in northern New Jersey and can't remember ever having come
across a Pawpaw tree in the wild - it seems like I was just outside
their range.

I now live in southeastern pennsylvania and I'd like to locate some
wild pawpaws, hopefully nearby, with the intent of obtaining some seed
and/or seedlings/suckers so I can establish a couple of "wild" trees in
my yard (along with some named varieties I have on order). I'm
specifically interested in wild trees - not cultivated ones.

Can anyone give me any "tricks" for finding pawpaw trees or know of
locations where they've seen pawpaws growing wild in PA, DE, NJ, or MD?
I'd be willing to travel an hour or two to see/find them.

Thanks

Pete Chrisbacher

Easy enough to find if you know what you're looking for -- I come across
wild ones all the time while I'm hiking. But I'd suggest that you avoid
moving a wild one. Far easier to buy some of the domesticated varieties:
http://www.blossomnursery.com/
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Return address will not work. Please
reply in group or through my website:
http://johnmcgaw.com

Old 17-02-2004, 05:39 PM

I would say almost impossible with that tap root. Ingrid

"David J Bockman" wrote:

According to Dirr (I'm going to have to make a new acronym, ATD), Asimina
triloba (Common Pawpaw, Custard Apple) is indigenous from New York to
Florida, west to Nebraska and Texas. (Introduced 1736). Asminia parviflora
is indigenous in the Piedmont and Coastal Plain from Virginia to Mississippi
and east Texas.

I find them with regularity (although they are solitary trees or small
clumps usually) in dry hardwood stands and lowlying (riverbottom) areas,
almost always in fertile soil (lots of leaf mold present) here in Virginia.

FWIW, ATD they are difficult to transplant unless quite young (6').

Dave

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com