Old 16-02-2004, 04:02 AM
Frank

Default immersion watering method for gardenia

Dear Experts,

I recently bought a 1G gardenia "veitchii" with 15 buds! Very excited!
I put it by the southeast facing window and let it bath in sunshine
through glass+blinds everyday. I'm in the northern california by the
way. Books say it needs water and moisture. I'm wondering if I can do
immersion watering for gardenia. I'm planning to do immersion watering
for Azalea and moth orchid because some books and websites suggest
this.

Have you had any experience with immersion watering method for
gardenia? If it is ok, I will immersion water azalea, gardenia and
moth orchid, at the same time every weekend and feed azalea food the
second day after immersion watering. Does my plan sound safe?

Thanks and look forward to getting your inputs!

Tiffany
Old 16-02-2004, 11:43 AM
WiGard

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 19:56:16 -0800, Frank wrote:

Dear Experts,

I recently bought a 1G gardenia "veitchii" with 15 buds! Very excited! I
put it by the southeast facing window and let it bath in sunshine through
glass+blinds everyday. I'm in the northern california by the way. Books
say it needs water and moisture. I'm wondering if I can do immersion
watering for gardenia. I'm planning to do immersion watering for Azalea
and moth orchid because some books and websites suggest this.

Have you had any experience with immersion watering method for gardenia?
If it is ok, I will immersion water azalea, gardenia and moth orchid, at
the same time every weekend and feed azalea food the second day after
immersion watering. Does my plan sound safe?

Thanks and look forward to getting your inputs!

Tiffany

The plant probably needs water but most likely doesn't like wet feet,
i.e., it doesn't like standing in water. Bottom watering, I think, is the
best for plants since it encourages better root growth. Top watering too
often creates a crustiness to the top layer of soil thus making water
difficult to penetrate and soak in. I bottom water mine by placing the
plants in a flat and then filling the flat with water. This works best
when the flat has no holes in it.

Plants take water differently depending on the time of year. By us in the
land of ice and snow, houseplants slow down during winter months when
light levels decrease and indoor temps cool. With gardenia you want moist
soil but not saturated soil. Letting the plant go dry will most likely
cause leaves and flowers to drop.

Light daily misting may be enough moisture in between watering.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/BODY_MG336 might give you some help.