Old 24-02-2004, 06:40 PM
bill

Default shredded paper for composting

For security reasons, I have a fair amount of paper which gets
shredded. This is white paper with either laser or (black) inkjet
printing on it. No coated paper or newspaper. I through some in the
compost bin last summer and it decays pretty quickly, mixed with
chopped leaves and grass mowings. Anybody out there know if the paper
would have nutrients for the plants, both flower beds and veggies. (I
saw a post in a wodworking group that said sawdust would help loosen
the soil but didn't have much in the way of nutrients.) I like to have
extra carbon-stuff to throw in the compost bin - my wife complains
when I save leaves over the winter, but otherwise there's not much
carbon-stuff to mix in when the nitrogen-heavy grass clippings are
there to be composted.

I can always throw the shredded paper in with the recycling - probably
better from an ecology standpoint since this is quality paper that
improves the recycling value.

Thanks much
Bill

Old 24-02-2004, 11:19 PM
Compostman

"bill" wrote in message
[...]

As you discovered, office paper composts very well. (Unlike newspapers.)
Rather than thinking about compost as a source of nutrients, think of it as
a soil conditioner. There's nothing better than compost for that.
--
Compostman
Washington, DC

[IMG] code is On

Pre Composting Shredded Paper. steve auvache United Kingdom 20 27-05-2007 01:47 AM
Shredded paper mulch Wolf K Gardening 4 16-09-2006 07:05 PM
Composting Shredded Paper Droog Genzel United Kingdom 23 16-02-2005 08:53 PM
Shredded paper as mulch? Ken Oaf Australia 8 05-10-2004 10:26 PM
composting shredded paper Mark Fawcett United Kingdom 8 24-12-2003 12:10 AM