Old 30-09-2004, 12:45 PM
Ken Oaf

Default Shredded paper as mulch?

I'm wondering if anyone has used shredded paper as mulch?

Heaps of it is chucked out at workplaces all over the country and it would be
good for the environment if I could put it to good use.

One downside I can think of it is that if it is too thick, it could actually
prevent water getting to the plants.

Thoughts anyone?

Old 30-09-2004, 07:22 PM
len gardener

g'day ken,

yes it can be used as mulch in gardens can get blown around a bit so
best covered with some other material eg.,. straw/hay whatever. yes
i've seen lots of it going to land fill when it is so easily added to
the gardens. as it is shredded i can't see the thicker stuff causing
any problems and if it did it wouldn't be long term.i've used it in
the past found it rotted away very quickly.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

my e/mail addies have spam filters you should know what to delete before you send.
Old 01-10-2004, 07:06 AM
Amy Lou

"Ken Oaf" wrote in message
I'm wondering if anyone has used shredded paper as mulch?

I've used up heaps of newspaper (not shredded)just by laying it on the
ground and covering it with a nicer looking and heavier mulch. Unless you
could keep the shredded stuff damp all the time it would blow away, wouldn't
it?

Amy

Old 01-10-2004, 10:59 AM
Nancy

"Ken Oaf" wrote in message
I'm wondering if anyone has used shredded paper as mulch?

Heaps of it is chucked out at workplaces all over the country and it would
be
good for the environment if I could put it to good use.

One downside I can think of it is that if it is too thick, it could
actually
prevent water getting to the plants.

Thoughts anyone?

I have used paper in my compost.
I leave it in the compost heap for awhile.
It breaks down pretty quick.
cheers
Nancy

Old 01-10-2004, 11:03 AM
Norm L

Hi Ken;
My little town does no re-cycling of paper. Why? - long story so I won't
get into it. It offended me to be throwing all my newspapers and junk mail
into the garbage.

I got myself a paper shredder ( type used in an office - $69), made
myself a wooden stand that holds the shredder and lets the shredded paper
fall into large plastic bag.

We generate about 2 bags full each week. Shredding is no problem, when
we have finished a section, we shred it. It's just another task that fits
into our day, takes no time at all. We spread this around all our plants.

The shredded paper is a bit fluffy so after spreading we water it down.
A single watering compresses it down so that it won't blow around.

It looks a bit funny to see these white rings of shredded paper around
each plant but eventually it takes on the colour of "weathered" paper and
doesn't look so out of place. A couple times a year I spread "real" mulch
over all the garden so all the white rings get covered anyway.

I especially like it around our strawberry plants. I can tuck it in,
nice and deep, and it keeps the berries off the ground. It also keeps the
soil nice and cool - which the plants like.

So, in answer to your question - go for it!

Now, there's an Advisory on using paper in the garden. 20, 30, or 40
years ago (whatever), we were told not to use paper in the garden.
Especially, paper that was highly refined or that which had printing or
pictures. The contention was that highly refined paper had "chemicals" in it
and paper with printing (especially colour) or pictures contained "heavy
metal". These "chemicals" and "heavy metal", over time, would contaminate
the garden.

I don't believe it. Obviously, because I'm using paper in my garden. You
have to put things in context.

Firstly, I think paper making and printing has come a long way. I'd be
VERY surprised if that Advisory is "really" true in this day and age.

Secondly, I got gas-guzzling Toorak tanks (4X4) driving past my place,
pouring out more "chemicals" and "heavy metal", than will ever be found in
paper.

Thirdly, we're not talking about tonnes of paper. Maybe over 50 years or
so, it'll be tonnes but really.... and in those tonnes, there is traces of
"chemicals" and "heavy metal". Like I said before, I don't believe it.

Norm

Old 02-10-2004, 09:51 AM
andr0meda

Once in while, instead of throwing my shredded paper in the bin (in a copy
shop it is a normal practice to shred all confidential and the like
'misprints'), I take a couple of bags home and put it in the composting bin.
Andr0

Old 04-10-2004, 12:47 AM
freebird

"Ken Oaf" wrote in message
I'm wondering if anyone has used shredded paper as mulch?

Heaps of it is chucked out at workplaces all over the country and it would

be
good for the environment if I could put it to good use.

One downside I can think of it is that if it is too thick, it could

actually
prevent water getting to the plants.

Thoughts anyone?

Worms love cardboard in particular. Wonder if bleached and printed on
paper has negative effects on bugs eating it.

barb

Old 04-10-2004, 03:27 AM
Harry

Hi Ken
I've tried shredded paper for mulch, sometimes with success sometimes not.

Finely shredded paper does not work as a mulch. It turns into papiermache.
Works in the compost bin though.

Course shredded paper works best as a mulch.

The bleach and toner does not seem to cause any problems.

Harry

Old 05-10-2004, 10:26 PM
John Savage

"freebird" writes:
Worms love cardboard in particular. Wonder if bleached and printed on
paper has negative effects on bugs eating it.

Using chlorine to bleach anything that's organic produces organochlorides.
Consider the teabag situation which eventually went to unbleached paper,
I think?

Shredded Paper in Compost Pile Goomba38 Edible Gardening 48 08-10-2008 08:29 PM
Shredded paper mulch Wolf K Gardening 4 16-09-2006 07:05 PM
Composting Shredded Paper Droog Genzel United Kingdom 23 16-02-2005 08:53 PM
shredded paper for composting bill Gardening 1 24-02-2004 11:19 PM
composting shredded paper Mark Fawcett United Kingdom 8 24-12-2003 12:10 AM