Old 28-02-2004, 08:02 PM
madgardener

Default Peepers!!!!!

Well it's that time again. Came home this early afternoon from a nice
brunch with Squire while he's in town this weekend, and son to discover the
surrounding land is with the passionate throbs and trills of the PEEPERS!!!

Beautiful sunny day today smelling of the oncoming Spring. The snows are
almost all gone, hints of it's presence are still evident on the floor of
the surrounding woods beneath the trees and on the northern sides of houses
and what not. More crocuses in the western bed under the lilac are open
like colorful little bird mouths gaping at the sunlight above them. They
will all close in the late afternoon to hold tight against the cool evenings
in chance that they can open a few more days before they fade into papery
thin remnants.

To me, the coming of spring has many signs, but one of the truest ones I
have learned since living here is the sounds of love surrounding me. The
sounds of Peepers.

madgardener up on the ridge, back in Fairy Holler, overlooking English
Mountain in Eastern Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36

Old 28-02-2004, 10:02 PM
John McGaw

"madgardener" wrote in message
[...]

Nary a peep from either peepers (grey tree frogs for those who don't have
them) or crickets yet. Haven't even seen any of the normall-numerous
five-line skinks on their favorite sunning spot on the wall out back either
.. Guess the sporadic late snow and freezing temperatures in Knoxville are
holding everything back a bit and everything is still holed up under the
leaf mould in the woods. But the crocuses have been blooming despite it all,
the Mahonia is blooming and attracting the early bees, and the hyacinths and
daffodils should be blooming in a couple of weeks. The nightly chorus can't
be too far behind.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Old 29-02-2004, 03:34 PM
madgardener

hey John! I'm over here east of you in Dandridge, and I already have
crocuses and some early daffs. And my Hellebore are starting to bud up
nicely. I found my first official Hellebore blossom in full glory just
before our snow Thursday. I bet with the temperatures they're predicting
today, you'll hear the peepers!
madgardener up on the ridge, back in Fairy Holler overlooking English
Mountain in Eastern Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36
.. .

Old 29-02-2004, 04:09 PM

being in the frozen tundra of zone 5 my standards are a little lower. My first
snowdrop is blooming yesterday and the robins are showing themselves, altho I havent
heard much chatter yet. Its 43o on its way to 55 for a high. hoo haaa. Ingrid

"madgardener" wrote:
To me, the coming of spring has many signs, but one of the truest ones I
have learned since living here is the sounds of love surrounding me. The
sounds of Peepers.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 03-03-2004, 08:52 PM
madgardener

hey now, my snowdrops were the first to show their little heads too despite
them being few in number and in a raised bed on the west side of my
house........everything counts when Spring is concerned~!
maddie

"madgardener" wrote:
To me, the coming of spring has many signs, but one of the truest ones I
have learned since living here is the sounds of love surrounding me. The
sounds of Peepers.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List