Old 09-03-2004, 09:29 PM
Birk N. Stock

Default When do I spray the fruit trees?

Moira wrote:

I would spray late Spring or early summer. Try and find a selective
spray so that ladybirds etc will not be killed.

Happy spraying!

Yeah, gotta watch out for those ladybirds!

Old 10-03-2004, 08:32 AM
Janice

On 9 Mar 2004 08:17:54 -0800, (Moira) wrote:

(Beecrofter) wrote in message om...
"junkyardcat" wrote in message ...
This year, I want to spray
the trees so they don't any pests or diseases, but I have no idea when is
the correct time to spray. Does anyone know when is the appropriate time?

Thanks!!! Happy Gardening
Angie

RTFL

It all depends on what you're spraying. Dormant oil means that.. when
the tree is still dormant. Smothers the pests over wintering under
the bark, their eggs, larvae etc.

To repeat the mantra: Check with your local county agricultural
extension agency (if you're in the USA) they have a master gardener's
program, literature etc. You can also talk with the more knowledgable
folks at a well established garden center (I always ask at least 3
different folks the same question and try to get a consensus if you
don't get at least 2 of the 3 giving the same info, keep asking people
the *same* question.. before I get jumped on by the good folks
here..you can do google searches yahoo searches etc also and it is a
good idea, but as I have also done searches that give you a gazillion
different things, but never the ONE thing you really want to know, I
know asking people who are in the position to have had experiences I
haven't to see if I've actually dug out the correct information from
what I have read).

Personally, I don't spray, and I don't grow fruit trees that require
spraying to grow fruit that is free or mostly free of worms. I can
grow peaches, nectarines, and probably apricots and plums.. never have
manage to actually check that out as the only apricot I planted was a
sweetheart apricot that had the edible almond-like pit, and the
squirrels cut every apricot off the tree while still green. But
apricots and plums have been witnessed in the general area without
worms in the fruit most of the time.

I realize that not everyone is that lucky. I can't grow cherries
(because neighbors don't clean up their fallen fruit and dispose of
it- giving the worms a place to grow and then pupate), or apples as
they get infested quickly. Pears are harvested while still green, so
any worms in them are usually small, but they too continue munching
and growing as the fruit ripens, but usually they wouldn't be too
horribly infested, but the trees are prone to fire blight and other
problems so I would have to spray and fiddle around with them, and I
figure if *I* have to spray then I'll just buy fruit grown locally and
try to find someone who uses as little spray as necessary. Integrated
pest management is in their best interest in that the sprays are not
cheap, someone has to apply it so those are wages they have to pay, or
else they have to go do it themselves..so they save money and labor if
they don't spray any more than necessary.

Integrated pest management that uses pheromone traps to detect when
the pests are present and a problem, using BT when they can, etc..to
reduce the need to spray .. that all is better for me in that *I*
don't have to buy, store, handle, spray and contaminate any part of my
yard with spray drift (even if the wind isn't blowing it drifts some
and spraying from the ground it's going to end up in places other than
the tree in the process, killing beneficial insects and perhaps frogs,
fish, worms, and such. I'll buy what I can't manage to grow without
the spray. With the exception of the dormant oil spray, that's a good
idea..which I must admit I don't even do, can't now, and was too busy
and lazy before. I only have one voluntary peach tree at the moment
and a lot of grape vines. None have really suffered much from insect
pests. Now birds, and squirrels, that's another matter. Didn't even
have those for most of the 27 years I've lived here.

Good luck!

Janice

Old 11-03-2004, 05:02 AM
Pam - gardengal

"Moira" wrote in message
om...
(Beecrofter) wrote in message

om...
"junkyardcat" wrote in message

This year, I want to spray
the trees so they don't any pests or diseases, but I have no idea when

is
the correct time to spray. Does anyone know when is the appropriate

time?

Thanks!!! Happy Gardening
Angie

RTFL

I would spray late Spring or early summer. Try and find a selective
spray so that ladybirds etc will not be killed.

Happy spraying!

Sometimes when I read the "information" posted on this forum, it just makes
me cringe.

This is not good advice - not only is it inaccurate, but it is so general as
to be meaningless.

If you feel the need to spray, you must know EXACTLY what you are attempting
to control and the best method and timing to do so. Dormant oil is sprayed
whilst the plant is dormant - for deciduous plants that is before bud break,
not in late spring or in summer. Fungicides can be combined with a dormant
spray (a very common application) or separately, but never when the plant is
in blossom or when pollinizers are present. Insects which may plague fruit
trees can be trapped and killed using pheremone traps or through a dormant
spray program that will destroy overwintering eggs.

The advice to question your extension agent is sound. They will help you
determine what your plant problems are and how best to control them and the
proper method and timing to do so effectively and safely.

Old 11-03-2004, 06:02 AM
Sherwin Dubren

I generally agree with what Pam says. However, as stated before, the
temperature on the days following dormant spray must be warm enough for
the oil to do it's job. I have not had good luck with extension people
on
spraying schedules. For some reason, this seems to be out of their area
of interest. That is also true of garden centers, Botanic gardens,
etc. You can try the web for a university in your region who might post
a spray
schedule. Also, try and hook up with a club or group of people in to
growing fruit in backyards. Many of them are quite knowledgeable about
spraying. I would recommend a general 'orchard spray' for starters,
until
you find the need to go after specific problems. The schedule is not
complicated for the orchard sprays. you can start after petal fall and
continue every few weeks (dry and calm weather permitting), up until a
few
weeks before harvest (let the sun and rain break down the remaining
chemicals on the fruit).

Sherwin Dubren

Pam - gardengal wrote:

om...