Old 28-02-2004, 10:50 PM
junkyardcat

Default When do I spray the fruit trees?

I have several plum and peach trees. We moved here last year, and were
excited about having fruit trees, but alas, when the fruit came out, it all
got this ugly mildew and shriveled up to nothing! This year, I want to spray
the trees so they don't any pests or diseases, but I have no idea when is
the correct time to spray. Does anyone know when is the appropriate time?

Thanks!!! Happy Gardening
Angie

Old 28-02-2004, 11:17 PM
MC

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 16:12:49 -0600, junkyardcat wrote:

I have several plum and peach trees. We moved here last year, and were
excited about having fruit trees, but alas, when the fruit came out, it all
got this ugly mildew and shriveled up to nothing! This year, I want to spray
the trees so they don't any pests or diseases, but I have no idea when is
the correct time to spray. Does anyone know when is the appropriate time?

Thanks!!! Happy Gardening
Angie

Check with a reputable nursery in your area. There are different types of
sprays. I believe dormant oil is sprayed in late winter/ early spring,
which means something different depending on your zone.

The county agent also can help. They are very helpful albeit lonely folk
just dying to talk to someone who will listen.

Old 29-02-2004, 05:42 AM
Sherwin Dubren

Just to be a bit more specific. Dormant oil is a good first step, but
be
sure to do it before the trees come out of dormancy (you see buds
beginning to open). A regular spray schedule of a pesticide and a
fungicide should be followed for the growing season. Usually, you
cannot spray often enough because of rainy or windy weather. Don't
spray any
insecticide while the blossoms are out, or you will kill the friendly
pollinators. You can use a good general orchard spray for starters. If
you continue to have problems, you may have to take more specific
measures
by using a more specific spray, or hanging traps from the trees.

Sherwin Dubren

Old 29-02-2004, 02:02 PM
Hal

wrote:

I have several plum and peach trees. We moved here last year, and were
excited about having fruit trees, but alas, when the fruit came out, it all
got this ugly mildew and shriveled up to nothing! This year, I want to spray
the trees so they don't any pests or diseases, but I have no idea when is
the correct time to spray. Does anyone know when is the appropriate time?

Ugly mildew sounds like brown rot. Peaches aren't easy. It takes
several chemicals sprayed at the right time and for a couple trees it
becomes expensive and you have to get educated in order to buy and
handle the chemicals. I think you are too late this year, but
contact a county agricultural agent for the information you need.

Regards,

Hal

Old 29-02-2004, 11:02 PM
David Ross

junkyardcat wrote:

I have several plum and peach trees. We moved here last year, and were
excited about having fruit trees, but alas, when the fruit came out, it all
got this ugly mildew and shriveled up to nothing! This year, I want to spray
the trees so they don't any pests or diseases, but I have no idea when is
the correct time to spray. Does anyone know when is the appropriate time?

I spray my peach tree and grape vines with a mix of dormant oil
and copper sufate right after pruning, which is in early January.
(I also use this on my roses, which I prune at the same time.)
Then, only on my peach tree, I use the same spray again when the
flower buds show red, just before opening. After the peach is
through blooming and the petals have fallen, I spray both the
peach tree and my roses for bark borers (a serious problem here).

These are the only preventative sprayings I do. Any other
spraying is in response to an existing infestation, which means
that -- in some years -- I do no other spraying.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

Old 04-03-2004, 04:07 AM
robin

Is it too soon to use a dormant oil now here in Zone 5, the thumb of
Michigan?

How soon can I spray with fungicide after applying the oil?

I hate to mess with chemicals after the leaves are out because of the
birds...

Mostly want to protect serviceberries, crimson king maples, Whitespire
birch..the serviceberries (amelanchier) are the first to break out in
blossoms.

Can I use dormant oil on Skyrocket Junipers?

Thanks,
martha

Old 04-03-2004, 04:34 AM
MC

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 22:50:39 -0500, robin wrote:

Is it too soon to use a dormant oil now here in Zone 5, the thumb of
Michigan?

How soon can I spray with fungicide after applying the oil?

I hate to mess with chemicals after the leaves are out because of the
birds...

Mostly want to protect serviceberries, crimson king maples, Whitespire
birch..the serviceberries (amelanchier) are the first to break out in
blossoms.

Can I use dormant oil on Skyrocket Junipers?

Thanks,
martha

Contact your country extension office for the best info on your area. The
advice is free and reliable.
Old 04-03-2004, 02:35 PM
escapee

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 22:27:23 -0600, MC opined:

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 22:50:39 -0500, robin wrote:

Is it too soon to use a dormant oil now here in Zone 5, the thumb of
Michigan?

How soon can I spray with fungicide after applying the oil?

I hate to mess with chemicals after the leaves are out because of the
birds...

Mostly want to protect serviceberries, crimson king maples, Whitespire
birch..the serviceberries (amelanchier) are the first to break out in
blossoms.

Can I use dormant oil on Skyrocket Junipers?

Thanks,
martha

Contact your country extension office for the best info on your area. The
advice is free and reliable.

OR, a novel idea, read the labels.

Old 05-03-2004, 05:52 AM
Sherwin Dubren

Hi Robin,
What you need are two consecutive days of day and night temperatures
above 40 degrees fahrenheit. You also want a relatively dry time when
there are no heavy rainfalls in sight. Check your weatherman. No need
to check further.

Sherwin D.

Old 05-03-2004, 03:38 PM
Beecrofter

"junkyardcat" wrote in message ...
I have several plum and peach trees. We moved here last year, and were
excited about having fruit trees, but alas, when the fruit came out, it all
got this ugly mildew and shriveled up to nothing! This year, I want to spray
the trees so they don't any pests or diseases, but I have no idea when is
the correct time to spray. Does anyone know when is the appropriate time?

Thanks!!! Happy Gardening
Angie

RTFL
Read the #$%^%$ label.