Old 02-03-2004, 01:04 AM
Shellie Cahill

Default plant advice

I am looking for a pretty flowering plant that will bloom most of the summer
or a dwarf shrub that will do the same. I live in Louisiana-zone 8b. I
always spend so much time and money edging the front of my garden each year
with a colorful plant that will draw attention to my garden . I normally
plant red begonias in the garden but by the end of fall they need to get
removed. I then go get pansies for the winter months. I now need to focus on
by poor backyard so if anyone has ideas,I will appreciate it. I don't want
to edge it with the aztec grass like everyone else in my neighborhood but I
do like the thought that you plant that and you do not have to mess with it
again - it does good all year. I thought of possibly a dwarf fire power
nandina. I know it would do good all year - colorful--stay small.
Suggestions????

Old 02-03-2004, 03:42 PM

they have a dwarf crepe myrtle out there, well several of them actually. Ingrid

"Shellie Cahill" wrote:

I am looking for a pretty flowering plant that will bloom most of the summer
or a dwarf shrub that will do the same. I live in Louisiana-zone 8b. I
always spend so much time and money edging the front of my garden each year
with a colorful plant that will draw attention to my garden . I normally
plant red begonias in the garden but by the end of fall they need to get
removed. I then go get pansies for the winter months. I now need to focus on
by poor backyard so if anyone has ideas,I will appreciate it. I don't want
to edge it with the aztec grass like everyone else in my neighborhood but I
do like the thought that you plant that and you do not have to mess with it
again - it does good all year. I thought of possibly a dwarf fire power
nandina. I know it would do good all year - colorful--stay small.
Suggestions????

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 02-03-2004, 04:02 PM

http://www.bindingstevens.com/crepe.myrtle.htm
Miniatures: These will get only about 18-36" tall. They are great for those who have
limited space, but still want to enjoy the beauty of the crepe myrtle blooms.
Dwarf: These will grow about 3-5' tall. These are just thing for borders or
foundation plantings.
Semi-Dwarf: These generally get between 5-10' tall. They are a good choice for
grouping or flowering shrub borders.
Standard: Another name for these crepe myrtles are 'tree form'. Just as the name
suggests they can reach 15+ feet, and are usually single or double stemmed. They
make attractive street or driveway trees if pruned in an upright form. They are also
nice in groupings or as background plants.
http://www.crapemyrtles.com/ are pictures of various kinds including the weeping
forms.
Ingrid

"Shellie Cahill" wrote:

I am looking for a pretty flowering plant that will bloom most of the summer
or a dwarf shrub that will do the same. I live in Louisiana-zone 8b. I
always spend so much time and money edging the front of my garden each year
with a colorful plant that will draw attention to my garden . I normally
plant red begonias in the garden but by the end of fall they need to get
removed. I then go get pansies for the winter months. I now need to focus on
by poor backyard so if anyone has ideas,I will appreciate it. I don't want
to edge it with the aztec grass like everyone else in my neighborhood but I
do like the thought that you plant that and you do not have to mess with it
again - it does good all year. I thought of possibly a dwarf fire power
nandina. I know it would do good all year - colorful--stay small.
Suggestions????

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List