Old 03-03-2004, 11:32 PM
Seamore

Default New Lawn please

Come this summer I intend to reclaim an area of about 5mtr x 20mtr of
overgrown and rubbish strewn land. I am going to turn it into a lawn
for ease of future maintenence.
Has enyone any first hand knowledge of doing this. Or tips on same.
Also basic proceadure to accomplish the job. Any help gratefully
recieved.

You can E-mail your information if you wish to

Old 04-03-2004, 04:07 AM
David Hare-Scott

"Seamore" wrote in message
om...
Come this summer I intend to reclaim an area of about 5mtr x 20mtr of
overgrown and rubbish strewn land. I am going to turn it into a lawn
for ease of future maintenence.

Why do you think lawn is easy to maintain? You have to mow, water, weed and
fertilise it. Lawns are one of the most labour intensive and resource
hungry uses of the land.

If you want to save your time turn the area into a low maintenance garden
with a range of shrubs, perenials and ground covers, of a suitable size,
that suit your soil and climate. If it is well set up (including heavy
mulch) you should have very little work to do through the year for many
years.

Has enyone any first hand knowledge of doing this. Or tips on same.
Also basic proceadure to accomplish the job. Any help gratefully
recieved.

Can't help here but I have considerable experience getting rid of lawn!

David

Old 08-06-2004, 07:08 PM
Roger

Seamore wrote:

Come this summer I intend to reclaim an area of about 5mtr x 20mtr of
overgrown and rubbish strewn land. I am going to turn it into a lawn
for ease of future maintenence.

WHy do you assume a lawn is easy to maintain?

A cheap way to make it look better is to:

1) Get rid of the rubbish.

2) Use some herbacide to kill off everything

3) Get some decent soil from a garden centre

4) Sprinkle lots of three leaf clover seed and rake it well in.

5) Water every day for a couple of months.

This will make a green areas that inhibits weeds and does not need much
mowing.

--
Roger Irwin, Piedmonte, Italy

Use this link to get my email address