Old 15-03-2004, 04:51 PM
Rhyanon

Default planting forsythia bushes

Hey, right on! Excellent example of workin' it for November. It's a good
omen -- you defeated the bush!

"Gay Jesus" wrote in message

I just want to chime in on forsythia. We have had a massive bush of it in

the
yard for years, and it eventually took over 50% of the yard. The thing

was
huge. I named it George. You know, George Bush, always trying to take

over
everything! I finally won the battle of the bush a few weeks ago though.

The
trick is to get out there and snap the branches off in the winter before

it
starts growing. The woody shoots snap right off, easier than pruning.

Ended
up with about 20 big bundles of sticks though.

So stay away from forsythia unless you want to go war with it's dynasty at

some
point in the future....

In article ,
says...

"Rhyanon" wrote in message

Mountain laurel? They smell wunnerful. But toxic, verra toxic. Um......
Honeysuckles? Wisteria?

I love mountain laurel... and rhododendrons. But, yeah, very
poisonous. Can't be having them around the dog.

Forsythia is somewhat poisonous as well, though.

Buddleia maybe?

-

theoneflasehaddock

"theoneflasehaddock" wrote in message
om...
"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
. com...
For somebody from New Jersey, you ask a lot of stupid questions.

Have
you
ever heard of doing a Google search?

If you had any sense at all you would plant something else instead.
Forsythia are cheap weedy shrubs that can quickly overrun you yard

with
straggly growth. Most of the year they are an ugly mess. You

wanting to
plant them show you to be a cheapskate with absolutely no

imagination.

Almost anything else would be better. Try hardy shrub Hibiscus

("Rose of
Sharon") instead.

Hibiscus is also an ugly shrub. I find that both cause more problems
than they should, and should not be grown in the garden. You should
both try growing something nice, like holly, or dandelions, instead.

-
theoneflasehaddock

"mike" wrote in message
om...
Hi all....I live in southern New Jersey...and wanted to know

about
planting forsythia bushes. Just wondering a good time of year

(early
spring maybe?) to plant them...and how many feet away from a

stockade
fence?? And how far apart?
Any information will be great...thanks.

Old 15-03-2004, 05:33 PM
Gay Jesus

Thanks, it wasn't easy though. I had scratches and gouches all over my arms
afterwards. 'Twas a mighty clash of forces!!!!

In article , says...

Old 15-03-2004, 11:36 PM
Rhyanon

Eech. My theory is the thornier the rosebush, the sweeter the bloom; my
three are *vicious*! Pruning is truly a pain!