Old 10-03-2004, 11:07 PM
Dave in The Ozarks

Default Webworms

Last summer our walnut, hickory, pecan and persimmon trees were full
of webworms. The second infestation was much worse than the first.
They were really ugly and almost denuded the trees. I've read
someplace that there is a ring that can be placed around trees that
keeps the worms from infesting the trees.

Anyone heard of this? Any other good solutions?

Thanks,
Dave in The Ozarks

Old 10-03-2004, 11:09 PM
Stephen M. Henning

Dave in The Ozarks wrote:

Last summer our walnut, hickory, pecan and persimmon trees were full
of webworms. The second infestation was much worse than the first.
They were really ugly and almost denuded the trees. I've read
someplace that there is a ring that can be placed around trees that
keeps the worms from infesting the trees.

You are talking about Tanglefoot. It is a sticky paste that keeps
catepillars from climbing up into trees. They stick to the paste. You
make rings of the paste around the bark of the tree trunks.

http://www.tanglefoot.com/pests5.htm

Use this in conjunction with BT (a biological control) provides
excellent control. Use the Tanglefoot to prevent infestation and spray
with BT at the first sign of tents to treat infestation. Once the tent
is constructed, spraying is not very effective.

http://countyext.okstate.edu/pontotoc/WebwormsChris.htm

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Old 11-03-2004, 02:42 AM
Cereus-validus

Yeah, the problem is that Frodo ran away with the ring and now everybody is
trying to find it and get it back!

No need to seek advice from Gandalf. You will surely find mention of the
sacred ring in the enchanted land of Google!

Old 11-03-2004, 02:02 PM
Dave in The Ozarks

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 22:36:41 GMT, "Stephen M. Henning"
wrote:

Dave in The Ozarks wrote:

Last summer our walnut, hickory, pecan and persimmon trees were full
of webworms. The second infestation was much worse than the first.
They were really ugly and almost denuded the trees. I've read
someplace that there is a ring that can be placed around trees that
keeps the worms from infesting the trees.

You are talking about Tanglefoot. It is a sticky paste that keeps
catepillars from climbing up into trees. They stick to the paste. You
make rings of the paste around the bark of the tree trunks.

http://www.tanglefoot.com/pests5.htm

Use this in conjunction with BT (a biological control) provides
excellent control. Use the Tanglefoot to prevent infestation and spray
with BT at the first sign of tents to treat infestation. Once the tent
is constructed, spraying is not very effective.

http://countyext.okstate.edu/pontotoc/WebwormsChris.htm

Thanks, Stephen! That's just what I was looking for.

Dave

[IMG] code is On

Webworms II wc Texas 9 08-08-2004 03:25 PM
webworms Craig Cagle Gardening 8 27-05-2003 06:08 AM