Old 14-03-2004, 03:48 PM
cicero_wnb

Default Please give me suggestions about buying bean seeds (organic)

I'm going to have to order bean seeds ("dry" beans) because I can't
find them in area stores.

I am only interested in organically produced seeds. If anybody knows
of a reputable seed company that specializes in bean seeds, or
otherwise has a very large collection of bean seeds, please let me
know.

If they also provide detailed instructions on growing beans (from
seed) that would be a big plus, as this will be the first time I try
to do this.

Thanks!
Old 14-03-2004, 08:08 PM
FarmerDill

Many mailorder seed companies carry seeds fro the dry type beans. One that
advertises as organically grown is Johnny's Selected Seeds
http://www.johnnyseeds.com/welcome.html
Old 14-03-2004, 08:21 PM
FarmerDill

Old 14-03-2004, 09:03 PM
FarmerDill

Old 14-03-2004, 09:15 PM
FarmerDill

Old 15-03-2004, 08:08 AM
gregpresley

YOu might also just buy dried beans from a bulk bin in an organic health
food store. Most likely they will not have been treated with anything nasty,
because that would defeat the entire ethos of organic food.
Beans are one of the easiest of all vegetables to germinate and grow. The
seeds are quite large and easy to handle. Some people like to soak them
overnight before planting. They must be planted after all danger of frost is
past and the soil has warmed up. Sometimes they are planted in hills - which
just means mounding the soil slightly and pushing 3 or 4 beans into the
mound - about an inch deep. Don't overwater until the beans push their
leaves above the soil - after that they like a fair amount of moisture. Most
beans come in one of two types - bush or vine. Bush beans ripen all over a
short period of time, but ripen much faster than vine types. Vine types must
be supported with a tripod, chicken wire fence or something similar. They
bear for a much longer period than bush types, as long as the beans are
continually picked. Personally I like scarlet runner beans, because they
have beautiful flowers as well as very tasty green beans. But all kinds are
easy, as long as you have decent soil and a good amount of sunshine.
om...

Old 20-03-2004, 11:42 PM
Cicero_wnb

Frogleg wrote in message . ..
On 14 Mar 2004 07:07:47 -0800, (cicero_wnb) wrote:

I'm going to have to order bean seeds ("dry" beans) because I can't
find them in area stores.

I am only interested in organically produced seeds. If anybody knows
of a reputable seed company that specializes in bean seeds, or
otherwise has a very large collection of bean seeds, please let me
know.

If they also provide detailed instructions on growing beans (from
seed) that would be a big plus, as this will be the first time I try
to do this.

Seeds of Change may be what you want.
http://www.seedsofchange.com/default...04031504302430

Do request a catalog -- their catalogs are beautiful.

Thanks, but they don't seem to have that many dry beans (snap and
other beans, maybe).

I did find this though,

https://www.vermontbean.com/

These people do have a good selection. I don't know if they are organically
produced, but at this point I am willing to be flexible in that regard.
Old 21-03-2004, 02:08 AM
zxcvbob

Cicero_wnb wrote:

Frogleg wrote in message . ..

[...]

Go to a health food store and buy some "cranberry" beans. They look very
much like pinto beans. They are a truly all purpose bean; they are
excellent green snap beans, or shell them fresh, or use them dried.

Best regards,
Bob