Old 16-03-2004, 06:32 AM
junkyardcat

Default Butterfly Garden

I want to expand my butterfly garden this year. I want bright colorful and
fragrant flowers...what do you suggest? What do the butterflies and
hummingbirds just go wild about?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Angie in East Texas

Old 16-03-2004, 01:12 PM
Dwight Sipler

junkyardcat wrote:

I want to expand my butterfly garden this year...what do you suggest?

The butterflies in my garden really go for the cabbage and broccoli. The
pheromone traps get a lot in the corn also.

Oh wait! that's not a butterfly garden, it's a moth garden.

Never mind.........

Old 17-03-2004, 01:20 AM
Joelle

What do the butterflies and
hummingbirds just go wild about?

I don't get many hummingbirds (just as well with all my cats) but the most
popular plant with the butterflies is the mexican sunflower.

Joelle
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page - St
Augustine
Joelle

Old 17-03-2004, 04:06 AM
B & J

"junkyardcat" wrote in message
I want to expand my butterfly garden this year. I want bright colorful and
fragrant flowers...what do you suggest? What do the butterflies and
hummingbirds just go wild about?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Angie in East Texas

Try planting some lantanas and buddleias for butterflies and be sure to
plant some host plants for the butterfly larvae. I'm not familiar the
butterflies of your area, but a Google search should identify what is a good
host for the caterpillars for the various kinds. I plant parsley, dill, and
butterfly weed for our native butterflies, but many other plants also serve
as hosts.

BTW, a couple of flowers that attract butterflies but aren't fragrant are
zinnias and Mexican heather.

Put up some feeders for the humming birds with a boiled mixture of sugar
water (1 cup sugar to 4 cups of water). Yes, there are a number of flowers
that attract humming birds, but this is the quickest and easiest way. Be
sure to have several feeders at widely spaced locations so that a dominant
humming bird is unable to guard all of them. I usually have eight to ten
hummers fighting over space at each feeder.

John

Old 17-03-2004, 04:02 PM
Hal

On 16 Mar 2004 20:56:05 GMT, oaway (Joelle) wrote:

What do the butterflies and
hummingbirds just go wild about?

I don't get many hummingbirds (just as well with all my cats) but the most
popular plant with the butterflies is the mexican sunflower.

Another poster suggested Mexican Heather, it also attracts lots of
bees.

I enjoy watching butterfly larvae and plant several larvae food
plants. Some butterflies are area specific as well as being plant
specific. In my area, Middle Georgia, the gulf fritillary uses
passion flower (maypop) for a larvae food, but in farther South in
Florida the zebra longwing lays on it. Dill, an annual, didn't work
well for me because it dried up before the black swallowtails arrived,
but bronze fennel is a perennial and works well. I enjoyed watching
a 10" pot of curly parsley, but I fear the birds got most of the black
swallowtail larvae from it since it was so exposed.

I like blue anise and cypress vine for hummingbirds and I believe
there are some hummers that don't go to the feeder, but the feeder is
a great show. I have a lantana bed that began as 7 Miss Huff plants
planted about 3' apart, now it is many plants that I keep cut back to
control the size of the bed, but it attracts lots of butterfly and
hummingbird moth activity during the summer. A rubythroat will
occasionally dip through the lantana, but the feeder is so close most
of them go for the feeder instead.

I'd like to suggest a book "Butterfly Gardening for the South, by
Geyata Ajilvsgi. I think she's a Texan too.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/se...463038-5475252

Regards,

Hal

Old 17-03-2004, 06:21 PM
Melinda

Hummingbirds and butterflys alike love the Mimosa tree. It is not invasive but
will shoot out roots for new little trees each year. These can easily be mowed
down.

Mel

Old 18-03-2004, 04:08 AM
Joelle

I plant parsley, dill, and
butterfly weed for our native butterflies, but many other plants also serve
as hosts.

They also like Queen Ann's lace.