Old 20-03-2004, 10:10 PM
DigitalVinyl

Default wet area near retaining wall

I'm preparing a new vegetable bed that runs between a stone patio and
the edge of a retaining wall.

http://members.aol.com/digitalvinyl66/2004-NewBed.jpg

The ground, especially closer to the retaining wall becomes very
saturated and is somewhat muddy at times. It is always the last part
of the ground to dry out. The entire area is sunken by about 3 inches
from the rest of the backyard and the stone patio.

I am looking at what to do to improve this area.

1) I have started to tear it up and till the lawn down into it. I am
looking to add peat moss, composted manure/humus. Also I'm going to
use some perlite and water absorbtion crystals (these dissolve after a
few years into potassium). I'm hoping they will absorb more of the
stnding water and give the ground more even moisture.

2) The amendments I had planned should raise the ground about an
inch-i'm guessing. Now I'm thinking I should shoot for two inches
higher. I think the runoff from the patio and the surounding lawns
drain to this areas due to slope.

3) I will look at the wal for clogged drainage holes if there are any.

4) I was looking to use flowers/short veggies along the edges. The
stone patio is north so the tall veggies will be close to it. The
retaining wall will get full sun in summertime. Are there
flowers/veggies that like wet feet? I'm hoping maybe I can make
better choices for the edges to compensate for lack of success in
better drainage.

I'm wondering if I should create a moat or drainage ditch to transfer
water twoard the edge of the rock wall. Maybe if we get a nice heavy
rain I can go out there and watch for patterns in the runoff.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
2nd year gardener