Old 22-03-2004, 05:02 PM
Mike

Default Screening trees

Just moved into a house...we're on 1/3 of an acre but most of that is
in the front. Our neighbors behind us are about 60' away from our
house. We'd like to have some kind of screening in b/w us but not
sure what to do. People have suggested lieland cypruss but I'd kinda
like to keep it natural looking....those in a row look too uniform.
Any suggestions on what to do? We'd also like to keep raking to a
minimum.
Old 23-03-2004, 02:13 AM
Mike LaMana

More details please...where are you? Soil?? What's around you? Weather?

--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

Old 23-03-2004, 01:32 PM
Mike

Oh..sorry. I live in South Jersey. Not sure what I'm supposed to say
about the soil (never had a yard before so I'm a little uneducated in
that field). It's a suburban development...brand new...used to be a
forest but they didn't leave behind many trees when they built it. I
live basically in the middle of a cul-de-sac...the house behind me is
also on a cul-de-sac.

Old 23-03-2004, 04:03 PM
Pam - gardengal

You might want to consider Thuja 'Green Giant' - less problematic than
Leyland cypress, but will still produce rapid growth and unlikely to grow to
the same gigantic proportions. You don't necessarily need to plant in a row
to achieve screening. You can cluster the trees, depending on the length of
the area in question, and fill any gaps with something more ornamental,
perhaps a deciduous flowering tree for some blooms and fall color. A
serviceberry or dogwood would look great against that dark green backdrop.

As far as soil is concerned as long as you have good drainage, most trees
will be perfectly happy.

pam - gardengal

Old 24-03-2004, 01:04 AM
Mike LaMana

Mike:

Try Holly - Ilex opaca. If you have adequate sunlight and room try pitch or
shortleaf pine...heck, these are what they cut down to build the development
most likely.

Forget about Thuja anything, the deer will hammer them. Leyland cypress are
difficult to establish in our sandier soils without extensive hand holding.
And they are expensive.

Call Pinelands Nursery on Route 206 in Columbus NJ (609) 291-9486. They have
good selection of native species there, although often only in smaller
sizes. Tell them I referred you...they may remember me as I used to do a lot
of business with them years ago.

Go to my site and get my # if you have further questions

Regards: