Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23-03-2004, 06:44 PM
Groundswell

Default Flowering hedge/border ideas

Hi --

I live in the northern Washington DC suburbs and I'm looking for ideas
for a flowering hedge or thick border plant. I'm bored with the idea of
the typical yew or boxwood or privet. The location has mediocre quality
soil, it's neither heavy clay nor heavy sand, full to medium sun. The
length of the hedge would be about 40 feet.

I'm interested in something that is relatively low maintenance. It
doesn't need to be a privacy or security hedge, just something to define
the border and discourage the dogs and kids from running off the
property. Ideally it would thrive at somewhere between 3 and 5 feet.

One possibility is Rose of Sharon -- I have a couple of plants right now
and I'm used to taking care of it. I've had bad luck with azaleas for
whatever reason. I'm not crazy about the look of forsythia. I'm also
open to the idea of a mixed planting -- say 4 different plantings to
flower at different times of the year.

Any suggestions are welcome.

[IMG] code is On

North north west facing garden - perennial border ideas Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 4 17-02-2005 10:34 PM
Yellow and purple border ideas andrewpreece United Kingdom 11 12-11-2004 11:19 PM
Border Garden Ideas? Riddles Gardening 7 13-01-2004 03:33 AM
ideas for privacy/border shrub? Two x over Gardening 5 21-03-2003 07:08 PM
A 'quick' border - ideas? Rosie United Kingdom 1 09-03-2003 09:21 PM