Old 25-03-2004, 04:02 PM
Zemedelec

Default How to grow Lantanas?

Location, location, location. In New Orleans I have to FIGHT the lantana from
taking over my flower beds.
zemedelec
Old 26-03-2004, 12:35 AM
Mike Prager

gregpresley wrote:

Lantana grows prolifically in north Florida, which last time I checked, was
quite hot and humid, as well as extremely wet. I think the main limitation
is winter lows, and amount of time temps remain below freezing in one spell.
I would guess that much of North Carolina would be marginal for them in
terms of perenniality, except possible along the coast. They do leaf out
quite late, as others have said, so I'd give them at least until early May
before ripping them out. And check close to the base of the plant - many of
the stems may have died down to the ground, but if roots are alive, they may
send up new growth from the ground.

Greg,

Thanks for correcting my error. Mine were DEAD -- but as you
say, it's unlikely that the rain and humidity did them in.
Perhaps the bugs weakened them & cold did them in.

Mike

Mike Prager
Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a)
(Remove spam traps from email address to reply.)
Old 26-03-2004, 04:32 AM
Harvey R. Stone

"meanbeagle" wrote in message
Already flowering in Houston, Tx.
Spring comes early here, but summer last's way too long.

..
I live in Houston and mine never really stopped flowering but the stems
looked dead. I came to this group and asked about cutting them back and was
advised to leave them alone and I did. They are beautiful now. And yes,
summer lasts much too long. There oughta be a law.
Phyl

Old 26-03-2004, 01:18 PM
mprevette

I live in the center of N.C.. A friend of my moms that has Lantanas (she
lives about 7 miles away...not far) and hers are just absolutely beautiful!
She has had hers for years and they are so big and full. Mine even grew tall
last year, the first year that I planted them. We did have some pretty big
snows this year. But I just thought that they'd come back up. I looked down
at the roots, and did see a little bit of green, so I'm not going to dig
them up just yet. They didn't cost that much and if they are dead I won't be
losing much, except a pretty flower! And I think that the person that sold
them to me was from right around the same area as me.
Thank all of you for helping me!

yorkdl

"Mike Prager" §kill-spam§mprager@§alum.§mit.§edu wrote in message
news

Old 26-03-2004, 05:42 PM
nutso fasst

Lantanas were in our garden when we moved in 25 years ago and they're still
going strong without need for any care. When we get a winter frost (usually
just a few nights in Jan-Feb) the leafy branches die, at which point I cut
them way back. In March they come back like gangbusters. This is So.Calif.
Maybe if the roots freeze they die.

nf