Old 26-03-2004, 09:12 PM
Mike

Default Sick Trees

I have a couple of Oak trees and one of them is not looking real good
right now, I was hoping someone would maybe know what this problem is
and recommend a solution. I would greatly appreciate it.

http://www.esanda.net/tree1.jpg

http://www.esanda.net/tree2.jpg

Any opinions appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 26-03-2004, 10:32 PM
Mike LaMana

I couldn't access either picture...
Where are you, describe the site, history, etc ...
--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

Old 26-03-2004, 10:42 PM
Mike

On 2004-03-26 16:24:15 -0600, "Mike LaMana"
fake@MikeatHeartwoodConsultingdotnet said:

I couldn't access either picture...
Where are you, describe the site, history, etc ...

Sorry, the pictures are there now.....I am not sure how to describe the
problem other than to say the trunks are splitting open.....

Old 27-03-2004, 12:12 AM
David J Bockman

It looks like old damage that is healing over pretty well. Are they actively
weeping or oozing any fluid, or do you see evidence of insects?

Dave

Old 27-03-2004, 02:42 AM
Beecrofter

On 2004-03-26 16:24:15 -0600, "Mike LaMana"
fake@MikeatHeartwoodConsultingdotnet said:

I couldn't access either picture...
Where are you, describe the site, history, etc ...

Sorry, the pictures are there now.....I am not sure how to describe the
problem other than to say the trunks are splitting open.....

Come on Mike this ain't supposed to be like dentistry, you ask for
help and hold back on information. Where are the trees? How long have
they been there? Has their exposure changed?

Offhand if you were in the south I'd say the trees have a canker.
You cut em down and burn em if that is the case.

Old 27-03-2004, 03:02 AM
Mike LaMana

Mike I see it now...

Simple hypothesis: old abrasion wounds from shipping, tying, bracing,
rubbing, etc. Latent for a time, but eventually killed the cambium which lie
dead under the bark until the bark later sloughed off. Healing from the
sides as you'd expect...probably not a big deal.

More esoteric hypothesis: The result of a cambium-mining fly (actually a
family of flies) that often effect birches in our neck of the woods. The
pattern of damage sure augurs for this idea....

But once again...CAN WE HAVE A BIT MORE INFO re location, state, source,
history, etc....

On 2004-03-26 16:24:15 -0600, "Mike LaMana"

On 2004-03-26 16:24:15 -0600, "Mike LaMana"

Old 27-03-2004, 04:04 AM
Mike

On 2004-03-26 16:24:15 -0600, "Mike LaMana"
fake@MikeatHeartwoodConsultingdotnet said:

I couldn't access either picture...
Where are you, describe the site, history, etc ...

Sorry, the pictures are there now.....I am not sure how to describe the
problem other than to say the trunks are splitting open.....

Sorry, my thumb is not very 'green'. I didnt realize that information
was that important, here are the specifics.

I live in Texas, in a northern suburb of Dallas. It has been about 3
years since I had the tree planted in my front yard. lets see what
else....i have a sprinkler system so I know it gets watered regularly.
I do not notice any sap or other discharge, nor do I see the presence
of any bugs, but I do remember seeing some last year. The tree does
take alot of direct sunlight, we are in a new home, so the only shade
that anything really gets around here at this point is the shade given
by the houses.

Dont know if there is anything else that may be pertinent that I left
out, but if there is, please ask.....

Mike

Old 27-03-2004, 02:02 PM
Mike LaMana

Mike - have to say that although it looks mechanical in origin, my gut tells
me it is not...regardless it seems to be healing over well. Leave it be.

Good luck...