Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29-03-2004, 09:02 PM
Twobtold

Default Train noise block

Hi --
I'm looking for recommendations for planting an evergreen noise block at the
back of my daughter's property. She and her husband bought a house in NJ Zone 6
last year. There is a train that runs in back of their property, during the
'green' season the noise is minimal from the passing trains. But during the
winter 'brown' season the noise is pronounced.
I thought a break of evergreen trees/shrubs planted on their property line
(or possibly even encroaching on the RR right-of-way buffer land) would help.
I've
picked out some from a mail-order catalogue:
Colorado Blue Spruce -- Picea pungens glauca
Thuja "Green Giant" --
American Arborvitae -- Thuja occidentalis 'American'
Russian Olive -- Elaeagnus angustifolia
Canadian Hemlock --
Douglas Fir -- Pseudotsuga taxifola
Siberian Elm --
Christmas Holly -- Ilex Opaca hybrids
Are there any in the above list that you would recommend? or stay away from?
Any that will fill in faster than others? Should I be leary of the ones with no
Latin name?
Thanks in Advance, NJ/Z6

[IMG] code is On

How do I train a Bay tree ?? bigsteve United Kingdom 2 25-01-2006 12:19 PM
Nelson 'Rain Train' Sprinkler 1855 [email protected] North Carolina 0 04-08-2005 08:31 PM
Ebay train wreck. Darren Garrison Roses 0 09-04-2004 11:33 AM
Ebay train wreck. LauraEG Roses 2 06-04-2004 08:19 PM
[IBC] How Not To Train a Bonsai [email protected] Bonsai 0 18-06-2003 02:56 PM