Old 29-03-2004, 09:02 PM
Twobtold

Default Train noise block

Hi --
I'm looking for recommendations for planting an evergreen noise block at the
back of my daughter's property. She and her husband bought a house in NJ Zone 6
last year. There is a train that runs in back of their property, during the
'green' season the noise is minimal from the passing trains. But during the
winter 'brown' season the noise is pronounced.
I thought a break of evergreen trees/shrubs planted on their property line
(or possibly even encroaching on the RR right-of-way buffer land) would help.
I've
picked out some from a mail-order catalogue:
Colorado Blue Spruce -- Picea pungens glauca
Thuja "Green Giant" --
American Arborvitae -- Thuja occidentalis 'American'
Russian Olive -- Elaeagnus angustifolia
Canadian Hemlock --
Douglas Fir -- Pseudotsuga taxifola
Siberian Elm --
Christmas Holly -- Ilex Opaca hybrids
Are there any in the above list that you would recommend? or stay away from?
Any that will fill in faster than others? Should I be leary of the ones with no
Latin name?
Thanks in Advance, NJ/Z6
Old 29-03-2004, 09:32 PM
David J Bockman

1. What is there now, and will you be felling those trees to make this
screen?

2. With regard to rr right of way buffer: If the railroad people think that
a tree is encroaching and/or might fall across the tracks, they'll drop it.
So, plant accordingly.

"Twobtold" wrote in message
Colorado Blue Spruce -- Picea pungens glauca

Lovely tree, slow growing, 'blueness' varies widely with regard to
individual specimens and growing conditions. Good for zone 6. A whole wall
of them might be a little much.

Thuja "Green Giant" --

Very good choice.

American Arborvitae -- Thuja occidentalis 'American'

Another good choice, although as it ages a bit more ratty looking than the
others.

Russian Olive -- Elaeagnus angustifolia

Deciduous, drought tolerant, the ones I have seen have been more shrubby
than tree-like. How tall does your screen have to be?

Canadian Hemlock --

Not a good choice if the sight is full sun. Also prone to wooly adelgid
attacks and slow growing.

Douglas Fir -- Pseudotsuga taxifola

Very large choice, fine for this application IMHO.

Siberian Elm --

Ulmus pumilla. Bleh. Trash tree. Avoid. Weak wood, prone to watersprouts.
Deciduous.

Christmas Holly -- Ilex Opaca hybrids

Splendid. Slow growing however.

Perhaps a mixture of a few of these trees might make for a more naturalistic
screen rather than a monoculture. You've left out the quintessential
evergreen screening tree, Leyland cypress, aka X CUPRESSOCYPARIS
LEYLANDII, more recently renamed to x Cuprocyparis leylandii.

Taxus x media 'Hicksii' is another good choice.

Dave

Old 29-03-2004, 09:32 PM
paghat

In article ,
(Twobtold) wrote:

Hi --
I'm looking for recommendations for planting an evergreen noise block

at the
back of my daughter's property. She and her husband bought a house in NJ

Zone 6
last year. There is a train that runs in back of their property, during the
'green' season the noise is minimal from the passing trains. But during the
winter 'brown' season the noise is pronounced.

They need about a four inch long sliver of wood from an evergreen cedar.
Ram that deep into each ear.

When we were looking for a house to buy about five years ago, we found a
beauty, four bedroom, detached garage with complete workshop, a spare
outbuilding big as a lot of peoples' homes, a nice chunk of property all
around, for about one-fourth the usual going price -- we could've got a
mortgage for a couple hundred a month. Just before we said out loud, "Why
is this amazing place so cheap?" the train roared through, making sure to
blow its whistle full blast so it wouldn't be mowing down the children
children mashing pennies on the track.

An even better place we found on Winslow.Several acres, big house, big
barn, enclosed by woods, for a price some people would pay for a white
trash double-wide. We really considered it, but were deeply puzzled why it
had been on the market for a couple of years. We drove back without the
real estate agent a couple days later to see if it was really the rural
paradise it had seemed. And suddenly we knew why the realtor was so
insistant on the timing of our previous arrival. She didn't want us
checking out the place during the four hours each day that the Air Force
buzzes the property.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com/
Old 29-03-2004, 10:02 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 3/29/04 3:42 PM, in article ,
"paghat" wrote:

In article ,
(Twobtold) wrote:

[...]

I had a dear friend who's husband insisted each and every home had to have a
train passing on a regular basis.
And my DS would love to have the Air Force buzzing around.

Cheryl

Old 30-03-2004, 03:02 AM
paghat

In article , Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

On 3/29/04 3:42 PM, in article ,
"paghat" wrote:

In article ,
(Twobtold) wrote:

[...]

Unimportant correction of location: The farm buzzed by the airforce was on
Widbey Island, not Winslow. And only someone DEAF could have lived there,
which is why it stayed on the market for two years at ultra-bargain price.
As for a train, the sound of a train whistle in the distance can be
lovely. Not right through a neighborhood with children at play. Even just
standing safely to the side of the track can get your kid's head wacked
off with a loose bailing wire -- so not pleasant even for the deaf.

-paghat

Old 30-03-2004, 04:02 AM
Cheryl Isaak

On 3/29/04 8:54 PM, in article ,
"paghat" wrote:

In article , Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

On 3/29/04 3:42 PM, in article
,
"paghat" wrote:

In article ,
(Twobtold) wrote:

[...]

I agree with the train right in the backyard, but I still maintain, deaf or
not, DS would love to to be buzzed on a regular basis.

Cheryl

Old 30-03-2004, 04:12 AM
Cheryl Isaak

On 3/29/04 8:54 PM, in article ,
"paghat" wrote:

In article , Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

On 3/29/04 3:42 PM, in article
,

Old 30-03-2004, 07:32 AM
Twobtold

From: "David J Bockman"

1. What is there now, and will you be felling those trees to make this
screen?

I will not be taking any down to plant this screen. I noticed swamp maple and
slippery elm don't know what else is back there. Only 3 trees have any girth,
rest are scrawney.

2. With regard to rr right of way buffer: If the railroad people think that
a tree is encroaching and/or might fall across the tracks, they'll drop it.
So, plant accordingly.

Ok, good advice.

Colorado Blue Spruce -- Picea pungens glauca

Lovely tree, slow growing, 'blueness' varies widely with regard to
individual specimens and growing conditions. Good for zone 6. A whole wall
of them might be a little much.

OK, maybe just one since they are so slow to grow

Thuja "Green Giant" --

Very good choice.

Yeah, this is the one. Grows at a good clip, gets tall and looks good without
pruning.

American Arborvitae -- Thuja occidentalis 'American'

Another good choice, although as it ages a bit more ratty looking than the
others.

Russian Olive -- Elaeagnus angustifolia

Deciduous, drought tolerant, the ones I have seen have been more shrubby
than tree-like. How tall does your screen have to be?

Don't really know. I don't really want to blot out the view of the train, just
deaden the noise somewhat.

Canadian Hemlock --

Not a good choice if the sight is full sun. Also prone to wooly adelgid
attacks and slow growing.

Douglas Fir -- Pseudotsuga taxifola

Very large choice, fine for this application IMHO.

I read good things in re this tree but hesitate because it mentions aphid
problems

Siberian Elm --

Ulmus pumilla. Bleh. Trash tree. Avoid. Weak wood, prone to watersprouts.
Deciduous.

Christmas Holly -- Ilex Opaca hybrids

Splendid. Slow growing however.

Perhaps a mixture of a few of these trees might make for a more naturalistic
screen rather than a monoculture. You've left out the quintessential
evergreen screening tree, Leyland cypress, aka X CUPRESSOCYPARIS
LEYLANDII, more recently renamed to x Cuprocyparis leylandii.

Taxus x media 'Hicksii' is another good choice.

Dave

Thanks Dave for your time and insight.

Old 30-03-2004, 08:02 AM
Twobtold

(paghat)

They need about a four inch long sliver of wood from an evergreen cedar.
Ram that deep into each ear.

Think you've been drinking too much tea.

When we were looking for a house to buy about five years ago, we found a
beauty, four bedroom, detached garage with complete workshop, a spare
outbuilding big as a lot of peoples' homes, a nice chunk of property all
around, for about one-fourth the usual going price -- we could've got a
mortgage for a couple hundred a month. Just before we said out loud, "Why
is this amazing place so cheap?" the train roared through, making sure to
blow its whistle full blast so it wouldn't be mowing down the children
children mashing pennies on the track.

The way you've planted on your present homestead you probably could have
sheltered that property too. I still remember putting pennies on the tracks.
That was 55 or 60 years ago. Now I walk into the garage and forget what I
walked in there for.
Old 30-03-2004, 08:32 AM
PKelly

Twobtold wrote:

[...]

Some good advice in the replies. Personally, I'd give my right arm to
live next to a railroad. A screen...I'd remove screening
materials...but then I'm a train buff gg.

Railroads have weed control contractors that apply herbicide annually to
control plant growth in the ROW. Plus rail grinder rail maintenance
vehicles that maintain the "high iron" and have been known to set fire
to adjacent weed and scrub via the sparks thrown. And lets not forget
the railroad designers mantra "drainage, drainage, drainage" to ensure
solid footing through diversion of surrounding water...sometimes into
adjacent properties/areas where its not wanted or affecting local soil
conditions. Plant existance in or along a rail ROW can be a challenging
place to take up residence. Do NOT plant IN the ROW; its not your
property and the railroad legal eagles frown on trespassing as well as
disturbing the roadbed they work so hard to maintain; your work would be
removed, money wasted or worse.

I don't know the exact layout and lay of your land but I'd do a mix of
fast and slow growing evergreen trees and shrubs. Maybe plant a line of
leyland cypress to get a screen up and growing fast, supplemented by
slower/longer lasting eastern red cedar and American holly (whereyou may
be able to obtain from reforestation nurseries to keep costs down) and
the like. Around here and further south southern bayberry (Myrica
cerifera) is semi to evergreen and grows large shrub/small tree size.
Northern bayberry is also good for colder climes at filling in the nooks
and crannies. The leylands will do their job while the cedar and holly
establish, afterwhich when they become a useful size the leylands will
likely be ready to be blown over, attacked by bagworms or the stand can
be thinned. Big yews and chinense juniper varieties can also have a
place here.

Maybe travel through some other neighborhoods to see what other folks
have growing, and maybe working, so you don't have to reinvent the wheel
and what performs in your area?

Pat in coastal Maryland

Old 30-03-2004, 03:15 PM
Speed Racer

"paghat" wrote in message
news
Unimportant correction of location: The farm buzzed by the airforce was on
Widbey Island, not Winslow.

If it was on Whidbey it was not buzzed by the Air Force. Navy, maybe, but
not Air Force.

Old 30-03-2004, 06:03 PM
paghat

In article , "Speed Racer" . wrote:

"paghat" wrote in message
news
Unimportant correction of location: The farm buzzed by the airforce was on
Widbey Island, not Winslow.

If it was on Whidbey it was not buzzed by the Air Force. Navy, maybe, but
not Air Force.

Ah yes, quite right, Whidbey Island NAVAL Air Station. When one looks up &
sees zooming jets screaming out of hell, it's hard to remember, "Looky,
sailors!"

In Pentagon-Speak, mind-numbing jet-noise is "the sound of freedom," a
phrase the locals use as a preface to hocking a loogy. Maximum-rackety
afterburner-assisted scrambles & mock aereal combat, reliably through the
day, but frequently until 1:15 in the morning, has destroyed farms &
families, & bankrupted landowners. It causes cows to stop milking, &
horses to have nervous heart failure, & dogs to run off into the woods
never to return, & campers & visitors to the advertised-as-beautiful state
parks to realize they never want to spend tourist dollars in that
screaming hell-hole again, &amp wetlands birds to stop breeding, &
noise-stressed husbands to beat the living daylights out of their wives, &
sleep-deprived mothers to beat the living daylights out of their kids, &
stammering abused children to fail in school....

Lovely nature walks to the sound of jet noise. Beach-combing to the sound
of jet noise. Jet noise day & night the one pervasive reality for
civilians, plus the base has been called "one of the most polluting in the
nation" as excess jet fuel is always dumped into the air before landings.
But on the up-side, whale watchers can TOUCH the whales if they want --
washed up on the beaches, killed by sonar testing.

It's all okay though cuz it's the sound of freedom, in a world where
"peace" is redefined as "never a moment's." And since the dive-bombing is
predictable, real estate agents can happily arrange to show
depressed-value properties during the hours that give the incorrect
illusion of rural paradise, & hornswoggle city slickers into thinking they
purchased ten acres in heaven, of which they will be disabused when the
ink is dry. At least they can say it's no different than living in a
Landing Pattern at SeaTac International Airport except you can go crazy on
a farm instead of in a trailer house.

Whidby Island Air Attack of Vacation Campers:
http://old.mbconf.ca/mb/mbh3720/moore.htm
"There was no use going to bed with this noise. We read, played some table
games, and read some more. Finally, at 12:30 a.m. the noise stopped.
Quiet. Peace. How thankful we were for it!"

Old 30-03-2004, 10:35 PM
David Hill

".............. jets screaming out of hell ......."

We used to live close to an oil refinery and in the mid 70's we used to get
5 or 6 flights of 7 fighters on practice runs using us as a turning point
both on outward and return legs of their flights.
Then with problems in the Middle east fuel prices went up around 500% in
just over a year and have never stopped rising, Petrol (Gas) now costs us
around 79p ($1.44) per Litre.
The result we now see about 1 plane a couple of times a month.
The moral is that when fuel costs are low no one thinks twice about wasting
it, but there comes a time when costs are just to much for the tax payer to
put up with, but whilst low fuel costs remain a sacred cow protected by all
politicians then there is a price to pay.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 30-03-2004, 10:43 PM
David Hill

[...]

[IMG] code is On

How do I train a Bay tree ?? bigsteve United Kingdom 2 25-01-2006 12:19 PM
Nelson 'Rain Train' Sprinkler 1855 [email protected] North Carolina 0 04-08-2005 08:31 PM
Ebay train wreck. Darren Garrison Roses 0 09-04-2004 11:33 AM
Ebay train wreck. LauraEG Roses 2 06-04-2004 08:19 PM
[IBC] How Not To Train a Bonsai [email protected] Bonsai 0 18-06-2003 02:56 PM