Old 06-04-2004, 08:53 PM
jpd1009

Default how to espalier a lemon tree

Hi,

I am looking for some tips to espalier a lemon.

Also, what should I keep in mind when doing this to ensure an optimum crop?

thanks in advance

-james

Old 06-04-2004, 08:54 PM

I dont know anything about lemons, but espalier and optimum crop sounds like it is
mutually exclusive.
have you done a google search?

"jpd1009" wrote:
I am looking for some tips to espalier a lemon.
Also, what should I keep in mind when doing this to ensure an optimum crop?

-james

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 07-04-2004, 03:02 PM
figaro

I was just looking through a mediterranean gardening book and saw a picture
of this being done. Interesting. They mentioned two points; make sure your
arbor has wide enough openings to let the lemons hang down for picking and
whitewash the bare trunks to prevent sunscald. I thought about trying this
until I saw the whitewash part. I hate that look. I guess you could also
use some other sort of trunk wrap.

Old 08-04-2004, 11:32 PM
steve Mc

I agree, this is a great way to train fruit trees. In the northern
rockies we paint our trees, not lemons of course, to reduce the winter
sun burn, but planting next to a building, to espalier, protecting the
trunks becomes a summer burn issue. You might try planting shrubs or
tall perinneals on the sun side.
Steve