Old 14-04-2004, 02:32 AM
Cereus-validus

Default My plant died. Help me find his brother

You mean 150 cultivars not varieties.

Sure looks like you are indeed growing most of them in full sun. Your
interpretation of shade is still far more light than most northerners get.

Anyway, that amount of sunlight is not something you can do in a house or an
office, dude.

Still, we may never be able to locate DS's plant's next of kin to notify it
of it sibling's untimely passing. The funeral is already long over by now.
Any debate at this point is moot.

"Ricky" wrote in message
Cereus-validus" wrote in message
.. .
Provide a link to a picture of what you are calling croton so that we

can
be
sure to which plant it is you allude.

My garden features 150 different varieties: http://www.fawnridge.com/ricky

Old 14-04-2004, 01:02 PM
Ricky

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
You mean 150 cultivars not varieties.

A cultivar is man-made. A variety is naturally occuring. Only 2 of my
crotons are cultivars, the rest are varieities.

Sure looks like you are indeed growing most of them in full sun. Your
interpretation of shade is still far more light than most northerners get.

The stuff on the south side of the garden does get more sun than the rest of
the crotons. The yellow varieties can tolerate more sun than the other
colors.

Anyway, that amount of sunlight is not something you can do in a house or

an
office, dude.

That's for sure!

Still, we may never be able to locate DS's plant's next of kin to notify

it
of it sibling's untimely passing. The funeral is already long over by now.
Any debate at this point is moot.

RIP.

Old 14-04-2004, 01:02 PM
Cereus-validus

Time for you to brush up on your botanical nomenclature. That is not the
definition for botanical variety.
A botanical variety is a discreet wild population and a subset of a species.

A cultivar is a clone selected by man for its aesthetic horticultural or
agricultural merit and can be made artificially (man-made), from plants
appearing spontaneously in the garden or even selected from plants occurring
in the wild. A cultivar is not representative of the wild population of the
species, subspecies or botanical variety and can even be of hybrid origin.

All your croton are cultivars.

Old 14-04-2004, 06:33 PM
Ricky

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
. ..
Time for you to brush up on your botanical nomenclature. That is not the
definition for botanical variety.
A botanical variety is a discreet wild population and a subset of a

species.

A cultivar is a clone selected by man for its aesthetic horticultural or
agricultural merit and can be made artificially (man-made), from plants
appearing spontaneously in the garden or even selected from plants

occurring
in the wild. A cultivar is not representative of the wild population of

the
species, subspecies or botanical variety and can even be of hybrid origin.

All your croton are cultivars.

cultivar
SYLLABICATION: cul·ti·var
PRONUNCIATION: AUDIO: klt-vär, -vâr KEY
NOUN: A race or variety of a plant that has been created or selected
intentionally and maintained through cultivation.
ETYMOLOGY: culti(vated) + var(iety).

begin 666 ubreve.gif
M1TE&.#EA!P`4`/``/___P```$T`=9_WOP"598'J&% `__\``+"3`0!,`$T`
M``!-``\```#0&% `..IO`%!``"4\V\`J(C[OZB!][______A.IO`"A)][\`
M````ZAA0`)Q(][\!````T!A0`+OQ0P"+U `/-O`&8```#0&% `M ```) M
M4 `!````G"]0`$P```"T``````! `)PO4 ````````````$```"4+E `! $`
M````````````D"U0`/CJ;P!L``@`#P`6``````#0&% `8'- `-0"2 !/&5N
M``3\S:%____````+B !6P``_P`!`/___P`DT4Z7&%H9#-H=&U1TE&`'5B
MF5V92YG:68`][_3&?._`'!O`+H*``",ZV\`( `'!O``,`
"B8"JLU-3Z%``!$`0(`IP6&YBD! `A`@````"J
MS9)[90L#:K-``"Z"@``I'MO'KH*N@I$`:%U@4`````MGO/'$$``#./[7
MYQ8``.69(=H1[7UHL^-\\7`0#%" ``@!8"&\```#[5[77P$$C %$E.L"
M`!S\`@#G%B#K`@!8"&\`6'P@`(\!^'L,*O_N@H```````!` 10`/(PM)%\7
M````````= @`!S\`@#G%H2,13I86AD,VAT;5Q'249=6)R979E+F=I9@ `X
M:R)7P$G$@``7P$```````!T!R `7GP7#[7```S`#`(.L"`!P/K'PH`(\!
`,SO;P"(
M)O_U.QO`'0```#,&% `' $``-&)][\``$T`Z!E0`'0`````````# !-````
M30#,&% `0 `````````!!0```@4``/SL;P"!B__``!-`)B+][\``$T`00``
M`$$```!F``````````$````@[6\`R9KWOP``30`&F__`)5E@68```!F````
MM ```&8````%AD,`M ```"'Y! $`````+ `````'`!0`0 @J``$('"@P@,$`
C! T"4$AP(,*"#2-*;/APX2+&"$ZK)CP(.*'@MRS!@0`#L`
`
end

begin 666 prime.gif
M1TE&.#EA! `6`/ ``/___P```"'Y! $`````+ `````$`!8```(.A(^I$;
*0)2JVHLO00$`.P``
`
end

begin 666 schwa.gif
M1TE&.#EA!@`/`/ ``/___P```"'Y! $`````+ `````&``\```(0A(^I^$6
,&H@2N7MK9AP0% `[
`
end

begin 666 lprime.gif
M1TE&.#EA`P`6`/ ``/___P```"'Y! $`````+ `````#`!8```(+A(\)8;P-
'E9PT$10`.P``
`
end

Old 14-04-2004, 07:02 PM
Cereus-validus

So you are saying that you are aware of the definition of cultivar but you
just don't comprehend what it means?

Old 15-04-2004, 11:02 AM
Ben Blackmore

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
It would be a much better idea to keep you as far away as possible from

any
more plants you could kill.

You need to learn the basic skills for taking care of plants first.

Croton are tricky to grow and not a plant for rank beginners.

I think that is a little harsh! He said he moved and was probably expecting
someone to look after them for him. Not his fault really!

Ben

Old 15-04-2004, 02:02 PM
Salty Thumb

"Ben Blackmore" wrote in
:

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
It would be a much better idea to keep you as far away as possible
from any more plants you could kill.

You need to learn the basic skills for taking care of plants first.

Croton are tricky to grow and not a plant for rank beginners.

I think that is a little harsh! He said he moved and was probably
expecting someone to look after them for him. Not his fault really!

Ben

saw a bunch of crotons for sale at home depot yesterday.

(as well as a $5 hoop for holding paper bags in place while you fill them,
for whoever asked about that)
Old 15-04-2004, 06:02 PM
Cereus-validus

Look who's talking.

Hey Moe, where are you other two stooge buddies?

Have you read from the book of Moroni today?

Why not jerk yourself a soda while you're at it?

wrote in message
: "Cereus-validus" wrote in message
: ...
: It would be a much better idea to keep you as far away as possible from
: any
: more plants you could kill.
:
: You need to learn the basic skills for taking care of plants first.
:
: Croton are tricky to grow and not a plant for rank beginners.
:

: I think that is a little harsh! He said he moved and was probably

expecting
: someone to look after them for him. Not his fault really!

: Ben

Yes, this Cereus-validus appears to be quite the moronic jerk.
Another addition to the kill-file, sigh.