Old 11-04-2004, 11:32 PM
ds

Default My plant died. Help me find his brother

Hey all,

I moved recently and nobody took care of my plant before i could get
back to get it. Therefore it died. It was sad day.

So i want to replace it but i cant remember the name. I thought i knew
it but i guess not. So ill tell you what i thought the name was and if
anyone knows what it is.. that would be great.

I thought it was called a croate or crote.. or something like that.

Its leaves would be green when young .. but depending on the light it
got they would change from black to yellow... very nice.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Old 12-04-2004, 01:02 AM
Cereus-validus

It would be a much better idea to keep you as far away as possible from any
more plants you could kill.

You need to learn the basic skills for taking care of plants first.

Croton are tricky to grow and not a plant for rank beginners.

m...

Old 12-04-2004, 01:03 AM
Ricky

"Cereus-validus" jokes

Croton are tricky to grow and not a plant for rank beginners.

Ha, ha, ha! What could be easier?

Old 12-04-2004, 01:04 AM
Cereus-validus

So enlighten us on how easy they are, Rico.

Tell us all how you grow them so well.

"Cereus-validus" jokes

Old 12-04-2004, 03:32 AM
Joe

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 23:23:07 GMT, "Cereus-validus"
wrote:

It would be a much better idea to keep you as far away as possible from any
more plants you could kill.

You need to learn the basic skills for taking care of plants first.

Croton are tricky to grow and not a plant for rank beginners.

"ds" wrote in message
om...
Hey all,

I moved recently and nobody took care of my plant before i could get
back to get it. Therefore it died. It was sad day.

So i want to replace it but i cant remember the name. I thought i knew
it but i guess not. So ill tell you what i thought the name was and if
anyone knows what it is.. that would be great.

I thought it was called a croate or crote.. or something like that.

Its leaves would be green when young .. but depending on the light it
got they would change from black to yellow... very nice.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

I used to grow crotons by putting cuttings in the ground outside.
I thought they were rather tough.

BTW, did your plant ask for his brother as the last moment approached.
Or do you just want to notify him?

Try alt.genealogy.croton 8)
Old 12-04-2004, 03:33 AM
B & J

"Ricky" wrote in message

Ha, ha, ha! What could be easier?

You're right, Ricky. I threw out a four year old plant last summer because
it was too large but took cuttings before sending it to the compost pile.
The three cuttings I took are now colorful six inch plants with leaves that
spread over a foot and a half..

After they rooted, I planted the cuttings in high humus soil to which slow
release fertilizer was added and never allow the soil to become completely
dry. I keep the croton in a sunny southeast window because they require a
lot of light. One problem I've encountered with crotons is with spider
mites, but the mites can be quickly evicted with sharp blasts of water.
Another downside is that they flower at least twice during each spring and
summer and have messy flowers.

Last summer I purchased a second variety that has long narrow, twisting
leaves that change from green and yellow to dark burgundy with orange veins
as they age. I don't know the variety's name, but it's a plus that it
doesn't grow nearly as rapidly.

John

Old 12-04-2004, 04:02 AM
Beecrofter

Croton
Old 12-04-2004, 12:02 PM
Ricky

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
. ..
So enlighten us on how easy they are, Rico.

Tell us all how you grow them so well.

Crotons are what we call "quick stick". Just stuff the cuttings into some
acidic, organic soil and water. 90% or more will root and grow. I grow 150
different varieties in a small mist bed here in S. Florida.

Old 12-04-2004, 09:02 PM
Cereus-validus

Sure they are easy to grow where it is tropical and you can grow them
outdoors year round in full sun.

However, in cold climates where you must grow them in pots in far less than
ideal conditions in poor light, crotons are very difficult to grow well, or
even keep alive, especially over the winter. They can be kept in a
greenhouse but they make very bad houseplants.

The person who killed their plant was trying to grow one as a houseplant
under less than ideal conditions.

Old 13-04-2004, 11:32 AM
Ricky

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
om...
Sure they are easy to grow where it is tropical and you can grow them
outdoors year round in full sun.

No. Full sun is very bad for crotons. They will get small leaves and blanch
out all their color. Crotons do best in partial shade. I had one in New
Jersey in pot for 10 years and last year I brought one to my daughter who
lives in an apartment in NYC. It's still alive. They're actually much easier
to grow than you think, even in a pot indoors.

Old 13-04-2004, 06:33 PM
Ricky

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
I now have serious doubts that we are even talking about the same plant.

why?

Old 13-04-2004, 09:03 PM
Cereus-validus

Provide a link to a picture of what you are calling croton so that we can be
sure to which plant it is you allude.

Old 13-04-2004, 09:34 PM
Ricky

.. .