Old 17-09-2004, 01:24 AM
Janet Galpin

Default Brother Garden Labeller

Kitchen Garden magazine is promoting this labeller (Brother P-touch
Garden Labeller 100) which uses adhesive tape which is supposed not to
fade in the sun, etc. I wondered whether anyone had tried it or
something similar - though I think it's quite a new product so it's
probably too early to test out the claim not to fade.

It sells at about £35.

Janet G
Old 17-09-2004, 01:38 AM
Gary Woods

Janet Galpin wrote:

I wondered whether anyone had tried it or
something similar - though I think it's quite a new product so it's
probably too early to test out the claim not to fade.

I've heard mention of this from local gardeners, who claim the labels
really do stick to those zinc markers, and don't fade in sunlight. May try
it myself, since regular sharpie is nearly illegible late in the summer.
Here's a google lookup that spoke glowingly:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...92630?v=glance

It probably prints better than I. A doctor writing prescriptions prints
better than I...

Old 17-09-2004, 11:13 AM
Kate Morgan

I wondered whether anyone had tried it or
something similar - though I think it's quite a new product so it's
probably too early to test out the claim not to fade.

snip

I have a Brother P.Touch Mini-Tech, it prints well, the printing does
not fade if used in the house and/or greenhouse, it does fade if used in
the garden but maybe it is not intended to use outside.

kate
Old 17-09-2004, 03:16 PM
Steve Gittins

I work for Brother in the UK and , although I might be slightly biased, I've
used P-Touch tapes on flower pots and trays without any problems..

Steve Gittins

. ..

Old 17-09-2004, 06:19 PM
David Hill

Steve Gittins wrote........"I work for Brother in the UK and , although I
might be slightly biased, I've used P-Touch tapes on flower pots and trays
without any problems.. ."

Does this mean that you can get us all discount on the marker then?

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 17-09-2004, 08:20 PM
NikV

"Steve Gittins" wrote in message
I work for Brother in the UK and , although I might be slightly biased,

I've
used P-Touch tapes on flower pots and trays without any problems..

Does anybody know if Brother or anybody else does a similar printer to
connect to a computer - bit more flexible

Nik V

Old 17-09-2004, 10:08 PM
Kate Morgan

I work for Brother in the UK and , although I might be slightly biased, I've
used P-Touch tapes on flower pots and trays without any problems..

Steve Gittins

I did not mean to criticise the printer, far from it, I use it all the
time:-)
Old 17-09-2004, 11:36 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , NikV
writes

"Steve Gittins" wrote in message
I work for Brother in the UK and , although I might be slightly biased,

I've
used P-Touch tapes on flower pots and trays without any problems..

Does anybody know if Brother or anybody else does a similar printer to
connect to a computer - bit more flexible

some of the brother labellers can be connected to a PC, but not cheap.

http://www.brother.co.uk/our_products/html/pto_pcconnect.html
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:
Old 17-09-2004, 11:38 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Steve
Gittins writes
I work for Brother in the UK and , although I might be slightly biased, I've
used P-Touch tapes on flower pots and trays without any problems..

Is there anything special about this particular model re gardening, or
is it (As I assume) just a repackaging exercise?

It doesn't seem to be listed on the website.

Old 18-09-2004, 06:55 AM
Franz Heymann

"Janet Galpin" wrote in message
Kitchen Garden magazine is promoting this labeller (Brother P-touch
Garden Labeller 100) which uses adhesive tape which is supposed not

fade in the sun, etc. I wondered whether anyone had tried it or
something similar - though I think it's quite a new product so it's
probably too early to test out the claim not to fade.

It sells at about £35.

It sounds overpriced by about £30.

Franz

Old 18-09-2004, 11:25 AM
Janet Galpin

The message
from Chris French and Helen Johnson
contains these words:

In message , Steve
Gittins writes
I work for Brother in the UK and , although I might be slightly
biased, I've
used P-Touch tapes on flower pots and trays without any problems..

Is there anything special about this particular model re gardening, or
is it (As I assume) just a repackaging exercise?

It doesn't seem to be listed on the website.
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:

It's on www.touchlabelling.co.uk.

From what I gather, other Brother labellers take the laminated tape
which is what you'd need for gardening, but this particular one is much
cheaper, smaller and more limited in the kind of labels it produces than
other machines made by Brother. It seems to be designed just to give you
strips to stick onto normal cheap plastic plant labels.

I've succumbed and ordered one, so I'll report back when I've had a go.

Janet G
Old 18-09-2004, 03:47 PM
Franz Heymann

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 05:55:05 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Janet Galpin" wrote in message
Kitchen Garden magazine is promoting this labeller (Brother

P-touch
Garden Labeller 100) which uses adhesive tape which is supposed

not
fade in the sun, etc. I wondered whether anyone had tried it or
something similar - though I think it's quite a new product so

it's
probably too early to test out the claim not to fade.

It sells at about £35.

It sounds overpriced by about £30.

but you have just bought a soldering iron to make your own labels,
Franz :-)

Ah, but I use it for soldering as well. {:-))

Franz

Old 18-09-2004, 03:49 PM
Franz Heymann

"Janet Galpin" wrote in message
The message
from Chris French and Helen Johnson

contains these words:

In message ,

Steve
Gittins writes
I work for Brother in the UK and , although I might be slightly
biased, I've
used P-Touch tapes on flower pots and trays without any

problems..

Is there anything special about this particular model re

gardening, or
is it (As I assume) just a repackaging exercise?

It doesn't seem to be listed on the website.
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:

It's on www.touchlabelling.co.uk.

From what I gather, other Brother labellers take the laminated tape
which is what you'd need for gardening, but this particular one is

much
cheaper, smaller and more limited in the kind of labels it produces

than
other machines made by Brother. It seems to be designed just to give

you
strips to stick onto normal cheap plastic plant labels.

I've succumbed and ordered one, so I'll report back when I've had a

go.

A Dymo, obtainable from WH Smith costs a great deal less.

Franz

Old 18-09-2004, 05:58 PM
Mike Lyle

wrote:

"Janet Galpin" wrote in message
Kitchen Garden magazine is promoting this labeller (Brother

P-touch
Garden Labeller 100) which uses adhesive tape which is

supposed
not
fade in the sun, etc. I wondered whether anyone had tried it

or
something similar - though I think it's quite a new product so

it's
probably too early to test out the claim not to fade.

It sells at about £35.

It sounds overpriced by about £30.

but you have just bought a soldering iron to make your own

labels,
Franz :-)

Ah, but I use it for soldering as well. {:-))

I really wouldn't rely on any plastic label -- for £5, £35, or
£350 -- for permanence. UV or no UV, the plasticisers will drop out
sooner or later, and they'll crumble. Franz's recommendation of a
Dymo labeller is as good as any plastic system, as even when it fades
you can still read the raised lettering, and sticking it on some
other material will put off the evil day of disintegration.

You can presumably write on lead with a cheap soldering-iron, or on
aluminium or copper with an engraving tool (I bet Maplin sell an
electric one, but I've chucked out my catalogue, so I'm not sure).
Any Oxfam will provide an old saucepan, and many of us have bits of
copper pipe lying about. Failing that, model shops sell strips of
brass, though at a silly price. If one wants only a very few labels,
it's easy to use a hammer and a big nail or something to punch
letters with a series of dots into any bit of metal. (Reminds me of
school, where we had our numbers done in the soles of our shoes in
brass brads: shudder. Fred who cleaned them and dropped them in the
basket for collection was probably worth more than any of us
morally.)

Mike.