Old 13-04-2004, 06:02 PM
limey

Default Herb garden

I'm a neophyte at growing herbs and need help with this question.

If I plant basil, thyme, dill, oregano (and maybe parsley) what size garden
bed should I need and how far apart should I place the plants? TIA

Dora

limey at toad dot net

Old 13-04-2004, 06:04 PM
Phisherman

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 12:19:10 -0400, "limey"
wrote:

I'm a neophyte at growing herbs and need help with this question.

If I plant basil, thyme, dill, oregano (and maybe parsley) what size garden
bed should I need and how far apart should I place the plants? TIA

Dora

limey at toad dot net

Herbs do not take up much space. I have a new area in the garden, a
parsley patch (3x4 feet), but that is way more parsley than I'll ever
need. Each seed packet will tell how far away to plant the seeds.
Dill can get quite tall. Oregano and thyme are low-growing and in
many parts, perennials. Most herbs like quick-draining soil, full
sun, no fertilizer or use organics.

Old 13-04-2004, 10:32 PM
David Hill

Why not grow them in tubs close to your kitchen door, so you can just step
outside when you want some whilst you are cooking.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 14-04-2004, 01:32 AM
David Ross

limey wrote:

I'm a neophyte at growing herbs and need help with this question.

If I plant basil, thyme, dill, oregano (and maybe parsley) what size garden
bed should I need and how far apart should I place the plants? TIA

Unless you are going to use a lot of herbs (e.g., making pesto by
the gallon takes a lot of basil and parsley), grow them in flower
pots. Oregano and mint can be quite invasive if not constrained.

My herbs are in 10-inch pots. I have perennial herbs: peppermint
(Mentha piperita), tarragon (Artemisia dracunculus), golden thyme
(Thymus vulgaris 'Aureus'), and sage (Salvia officinalis). I also
have annual herbs: basil (Ocimum basilicum) and dill (Anethum
graveolens). The pots are lined up on both sides of a garden path
where the path is extra wide.

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/

complies with Web standards. See http://www.mozilla.org/.
Old 14-04-2004, 03:02 PM
limey

"David Ross" wrote in message
limey wrote:

If I plant basil, thyme, dill, oregano (and maybe parsley) what size

garden
bed should I need and how far apart should I place the plants? TIA

Unless you are going to use a lot of herbs (e.g., making pesto by
the gallon takes a lot of basil and parsley), grow them in flower
pots. Oregano and mint can be quite invasive if not constrained.

My herbs are in 10-inch pots. I have perennial herbs: peppermint
(Mentha piperita), tarragon (Artemisia dracunculus), golden thyme
(Thymus vulgaris 'Aureus'), and sage (Salvia officinalis). I also
have annual herbs: basil (Ocimum basilicum) and dill (Anethum
graveolens). The pots are lined up on both sides of a garden path
where the path is extra wide.

David E. Ross

Thanks, David. 10-inch pots are sounding very attractive to me and I have
just the spot near the back door. I only need the herbs leaf by leaf, but
it surely beats buying them from the supermarket.
I know how invasive mint is - I do have a patch of that, busily growing into
the grass and the azaleas. I have to curb its enthusiastic growth pattern
yet again.

Dora