Old 14-04-2004, 04:02 AM
madgardener

Default DOGWOOD WINTER!

Wow! Listened to customers today, ALL day during the cold rains and
blustery winds telling me of 4 inches of snow in Jackson, Tennessee. Snow in
Memphis. Snow in west Nashville......finally got to go to lunch at 3 and
warm car.............ahhhhh and turned on the radio and heard them tell the
listeners of winds gusting up above 60 mph, hail possibly of quarter size
proportions, but realized I was listening to a further northeastward station
since WNCW's tower in North Carolina was down. The storms did something to
their main tower last night just before the violent thunderstorms hit the
area.

Lots of feeding lightening around midnight but underplayed due to the heavy
slate gray clouds that hung in low swaths and feathers almost seeming like
they touched the hillsides and ground. The winds would kick up, I'd hunker
closer to the little heaters in the cash register stall outside and thank my
inner instinct this morning for putting on an undershirt, the pullover with
the hood, and that my fuzzy jacket was out in the car waiting for me to get
it and layer up. I just wish I'd left the legwarmers in the car
too..........Tomorrow it will be more springlike, and Thursday even warmer.
Ain't spring wonderful in Tennessee?? GBSEG

madgardener looking at temps right now in the upper
30's...................up on the ridge, back in Fairy HOller where the
fairies are curled up under leaves and huddled together.

Old 14-04-2004, 06:32 AM
B & J

"madgardener" wrote in message
Tomorrow it will be more springlike, and Thursday even warmer.
Ain't spring wonderful in Tennessee?? GBSEG

madgardener looking at temps right now in the upper
30's...................up on the ridge, back in Fairy HOller where the
fairies are curled up under leaves and huddled together.

Quitcher whining, Mad. G I almost froze my butt off yesterday putting down
a load of cedar mulch. To add insult to injury the cold front gave us less
than a quarter inch of badly-needed moisture the prior night. I had to
started a fire at Barb's demand. We didn't freeze but it was darned close. I
even hauled in a few plants including a deutzia in its pot that had buds
developing. VBSEG

John

Old 14-04-2004, 03:32 PM
kate

madgardener wrote:

Wow! Listened to customers today, ALL day during the cold rains and
blustery winds telling me of 4 inches of snow in Jackson, Tennessee. Snow in
Memphis. Snow in west Nashville.....

I can testify - I was in west Nashville and it was snowing! My cold
frame certainly lived up to it's name yesterday. The honeysuckle is
starting to bloom and the myrtle isn't far behind it. I planted some
bush beans, carrots (little baby ones), snap peas and coreopsis on
Sunday so at least the seeds most have enjoyed all that rain.

My tomato plants are itching to get into the ground - too soon but I'll
set them back out tommorow when we hit the 70's again.

Peace,

Kate
Old 15-04-2004, 02:03 AM
madgardener

"B & J" wrote in message
"madgardener" wrote in message
Tomorrow it will be more springlike, and Thursday even warmer.
Ain't spring wonderful in Tennessee?? GBSEG

madgardener looking at temps right now in the upper
30's...................up on the ridge, back in Fairy HOller where the
fairies are curled up under leaves and huddled together.

Quitcher whining, Mad. G I almost froze my butt off yesterday putting

down
a load of cedar mulch. To add insult to injury the cold front gave us less
than a quarter inch of badly-needed moisture the prior night. I had to
started a fire at Barb's demand. We didn't freeze but it was darned close.

even hauled in a few plants including a deutzia in its pot that had buds
developing. VBSEG

John

I was outside in that cold front from 10 a.m. until 6:30 p.m. yesterday

and again today same hours. Only today I had my leg warmers, two jackets
(one with a hood) my fuzzy hat under the hood and a tee-shirt under the
shirt........and thick jeans. Tomorrow they call for mid
60's.............How long should I wait for my little bitty deutzia to bud??
It's kinda sad looking.........and they're calling for a frost tonight and
you can see SNOW on the mountains behind English Mountain....a beautiful
sight as I came over the hill down towards my dead end. Took my breath away
with the sun just kissing the slopes on the south. WIsh I'd had my camera
with me. It changes so quickly...................
maddie