Old 19-04-2004, 06:02 PM
Ignoramus8790

Default distance between FRUIT trees, and fertilisation

We just cut down a few worthless trees (with some harrowing
experiences) and are going to plant some useful, productive trees such
as apples, cherries etc. They will be in a row about 10-12 feet from
the fence. In the next row (right next to the fence) will be occupied
by shrubs such as black currant and gooseberries and such.

My question is, what are the guidelines for distance between these
plants.

Second question. The trees that we are cutting down are deciduous
(with spikes instead of leaves) (I hope that I got it right) and the
soil is not that great. Would it be a good idea to completely till the
area and dump a few dozen sacks of topsoil in the area.

Third question. The trees that we are planting, for the first year,
will be pretty small with a small root system. Sould it be prudent to
plant potatoes for that first year, between trees but at a few feet
distance from them. Would hate to see this tilled space go unused.

Old 19-04-2004, 07:03 PM
Brian

Distances will be totally related to both the rootstock and your choice of
forms. Cordons really close at about 3' and standards, as far apart as you
intend to be their height. Personally I would always choose cordons for
diversity, quality and management.
Those that you cut down sound more like conifers [gymnosperms] than
normal deciduous trees but could have been Larch.
Cultivate deeply and add as much organic material as possible. Add loam
only if it is of special quality.
Potatoes only if nowhere near the trees. Other vegetables by all means
but whatever you remove will need to be replaced in one way or another.
Best Wishes Brian

Old 19-04-2004, 08:03 PM
Ignoramus8790

In article , Brian wrote:
Distances will be totally related to both the rootstock and your choice of
forms. Cordons really close at about 3' and standards, as far apart as you
intend to be their height. Personally I would always choose cordons for
diversity, quality and management.

what is a cordon?

Those that you cut down sound more like conifers [gymnosperms] than
normal deciduous trees but could have been Larch.

you are correct, conifers is the name.

Cultivate deeply and add as much organic material as possible. Add loam
only if it is of special quality.
Potatoes only if nowhere near the trees. Other vegetables by all means
but whatever you remove will need to be replaced in one way or another.

well, for small trees out of a bucket, I figure, 4 feet distance should
be enough for the first year.

Old 19-04-2004, 09:02 PM
Brian

A cordon is the name given to any fruiting plant that is kept to a single
stem with fruiting spurs along its whole length.
Apples and pears grown as cordons are usually trained at an angle of
45degrees. Gooseberries produce fantastically as upright cordons and need
only the width of a hoe [ignore those who will try to tease]between them.
Red currants also. Blackcurrants cannot be grown as cordons.
Best Wishes Brian

Old 19-04-2004, 09:02 PM
Ignoramus8790

In article , Brian wrote:
A cordon is the name given to any fruiting plant that is kept to a single
stem with fruiting spurs along its whole length.
Apples and pears grown as cordons are usually trained at an angle of
45degrees. Gooseberries produce fantastically as upright cordons and need
only the width of a hoe [ignore those who will try to tease]between them.
Red currants also. Blackcurrants cannot be grown as cordons.

Okay, thanks, I am now trying to translate this into something that I
understand.

How about this:

12 feet between fruit trees (apple, cherry etc)

6 feet between berry shrubs.

Please forgive my poor english, it is not my native language.

Old 21-04-2004, 06:02 AM
Sherwin Dubren

Here are some numbers for you of recommended distances between fruit trees:

Apple (standard) 30 ft.
Apple (semidwarf) 15 ft.
Apple (dwarf) 10 ft.
Pear (standard) 20 ft.
Pear (semidwarf) 15 ft.
Cherry(sweet) 20 ft.
Cherry(tart) 15 ft.
Apricot 20 ft.
Peach/Nectarine 15 ft.
Plum 15 ft.

My source is Stella Otto's book, 'The BackYard Orchardist".

Sherwin Dubren