Old 29-04-2004, 02:03 AM
Bill Sanderson

Default Are Antivirus software companies like the Mafia?

No it isn't.

A good conspiracy depends on a small number of folks in the know.

You are talking about a large number of folks, over a long period of time.

This is complete nonsense--and if you don't know that, and it appears that
you don't, you might wish to consider getting professional help.

"The Magnificent *******" wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 15:52:15 -0700, in alt.tv.sopranos, Trafton rubs the
lotion on it's skin or else it gets the hose again. It does this
whenever it's told -

Hi,

First of all, it's a bad idea to post with your real email address to
forums
like these, as users are already infected with viruses and are looking
for
help. They will harvest your email.

I don't open email from people I don't know so the joke is on them.
They will be wasting their time if they send me an email.

"The Magnificent *******" wrote in message
Antivirus software companies charge you money to "protect" your
computer
from viruses and other bad things that could happen to it (trojan
horse,
worm, etc.). If you don't pay for protection, there is a very good
chance that something bad will happen to your computer. Some people
say
that some antivirus software companies are even responsible for some
(or
most) of the new viruses that come out.........that way there is always
a need for their products.

This is an odd argument. After all, couldn't you say the same about most
every services industry? Doctors don't make people sick to get their
business. There is no "massive" conspiracy. The antivirus industry is so
large that it would be doubtful a secret such as that would be able to
stay
in for so long.

We still don't know who really shot JFK, so it's entirely possible that
a secret like this could be kept for a long time.

Sounds kind of like the mafia. Either you pay them for protection or
you'll get hurt or something like that.

You can avoid getting hurt by using common sense, even if you don't have
an
antivirus program. Viruses require user intervention to spread - some
require the lack thereof. It's not antivirus programs that stop viruses
from
spreading - they're only a safety net.

Is this just a coincidence?

No; a coincidence would entail some sort of similarity of unusual nature.
There is nothing unusual here. And, if you still feel this way, try a
free
antivirus program like this one:

http://www.grisoft.com/

Here is it from a virus writer's perspective, reflecting on the
absurdities
that were speculated upon because of a somewhat confusingly worded (but
standard) phrase in a Symantec write-up:

http://www.virusbtn.com/magazine/arc...d_straight.xml

Sincerely,
Benjamin "Trafton" Johnstone-Anderson
Microsoft MVP - Windows Security
Remove "SPAM" from email address to reply!
Security Manifest: www.msmvps.com/trafton/

--
Magnificent ******* Productions 2004 ©

http://www.magnificent*******productions.com

Old 29-04-2004, 03:04 AM
The Magnificent Bastard

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 20:43:34 -0400, in alt.tv.sopranos, Bill Sanderson
rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets the hose again. It does
this whenever it's told -

No it isn't.

A good conspiracy depends on a small number of folks in the know.

You are talking about a large number of folks, over a long period of time.

This is complete nonsense--and if you don't know that, and it appears that
you don't, you might wish to consider getting professional help.

Since you top-posted, I'm not sure which comments of mine that you're
referring to. Your post, for all intents and purposes, is complete non-
sense. I implore you to stop top-posting if you want people to take you
seriously.

Good day to you, sir.

Old 29-04-2004, 03:08 AM
David H. Lipman

Now I *KNOW* you are a Troll !

Mr. Lipman

Old 29-04-2004, 04:05 AM
Phil Weldon

Quoting yourself? Do you sew your own clothes too?

--
Phil Weldon

"The Magnificent *******" wrote in message
..
..
..
..

Old 29-04-2004, 04:06 AM
Phil Weldon

You are being too kind, and the original poster could never show the silence
of the lambs.

--
Phil Weldon, pweldonatmindjumpdotcom
For communication,

"David H. Lipman" wrote in message
Now I *KNOW* you are a Troll !

Mr. Lipman

Old 29-04-2004, 05:02 AM
Walker

The Magnificent ******* wrote:
On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 15:52:15 -0700, in alt.tv.sopranos, Trafton rubs
the lotion on it's skin or else it gets the hose again. It does this
whenever it's told -

Hi,

First of all, it's a bad idea to post with your real email address
to forums like these, as users are already infected with viruses and
are looking for help. They will harvest your email.

I don't open email from people I don't know so the joke is on them.
They will be wasting their time if they send me an email.

Now you tell me! And I thought you are just really, really shy.

"The Magnificent *******" wrote in
message ...

Old 29-04-2004, 10:05 AM
freeda

First of all, it's a bad idea to post with your real email address to

forums
like these, as users are already infected with viruses and are looking for
help. They will harvest your email.

You are all a bunch of pussies!!!
I have a permanent internet connection and use no firewall or AV software.
Any virus are welcome to have a go if they think their hard enough.
Whatever happened to living dangerously.

Old 29-04-2004, 12:02 PM
righter

"David H. Lipman" wrote in message
This is bad advice people !

Microsoft NEVER sends unsolicvited patches via email.

There are several Internet worms that masquerade as patches from

Microsoft. The most common
are; Swen, Dumaru, Gibe and Torvil.

Dave

You gotta lotta balls shitting all over my post. What makes your post any
better than mine? I downloaded all the patches like I'm supposed to and
nothing really happened, so the jokes on you! Ha! Ha! I always download
those patches. If you don't, you could be susceptible to the latest
viruses. You're post was reckless and defamatory and I demand an APOLOGY,
AND UNTIL I GET ONE, I'M NOT GONNA SAY ANOTHER WORD!

Old 29-04-2004, 12:03 PM
righter

"freeda" wrote in message

First of all, it's a bad idea to post with your real email address to

forums
like these, as users are already infected with viruses and are looking

for
help. They will harvest your email.

You are all a bunch of pussies!!!
I have a permanent internet connection and use no firewall or AV software.
Any virus are welcome to have a go if they think their hard enough.
Whatever happened to living dangerously.

I used to go on the chat rooms and deliberately flame people to get them to
send me a virus. Does that count as living dangerously?

Old 29-04-2004, 12:04 PM
Harry Quiff

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 06:29:50 -0400, righter wrote:

Some of you douches need to learn how to TRIM YOUR POSTS.

Old 29-04-2004, 12:05 PM
Harry Quiff

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 06:32:33 -0400, righter wrote:

"freeda" wrote in message

First of all, it's a bad idea to post with your real email address to

forums
like these, as users are already infected with viruses and are looking

for
help. They will harvest your email.

You are all a bunch of pussies!!!
I have a permanent internet connection and use no firewall or AV
software. Any virus are welcome to have a go if they think their hard
enough. Whatever happened to living dangerously.

I used to go on the chat rooms and deliberately flame people to get them
to send me a virus. Does that count as living dangerously?

Both of you are full of shit.
Old 29-04-2004, 01:02 PM
righter

"freeda" wrote in message

First of all, it's a bad idea to post with your real email address to
forums
like these, as users are already infected with viruses and are

looking
for
help. They will harvest your email.

You are all a bunch of pussies!!!
I have a permanent internet connection and use no firewall or AV
software. Any virus are welcome to have a go if they think their hard
enough. Whatever happened to living dangerously.

I used to go on the chat rooms and deliberately flame people to get them
to send me a virus. Does that count as living dangerously?

Both of you are full of shit.

No, I really did! After a couple of incredibly insulting comments, these
people would send the virus, and window upon window upon window would pop up
on the screen, clogging up the system, forcing me to restart. One of them
left this sound effect that would periodically chirp like crickets and it
annoyed the **** outta me. I'm livin' on the edge, ain't I?

Old 29-04-2004, 01:03 PM
righter

"Harry Quiff" wrote in message
On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 06:29:50 -0400, righter wrote:

Some of you douches need to learn how to TRIM YOUR POSTS.

And you need to brush up on your charm skills.

Old 29-04-2004, 10:02 PM
Bee

Magnificent ******* wrote:
...I don't open email from people I don't know so...They will be
wasting their time if they send me an email.

Beware! It was two months ago that I read from the news that the recent
breed of malware, among other things, disabled firewall and antivirus
software. And, their e-mails did *not* require being opened to discharge
their payload.

The point you made is a valid one. I sympathize with your suspicion, your
concern, and your alarm bell ringing. Until the day the scoundrel is caught
with his hand in the till, we will never know.

Bee.
--
[I have found my Shangri-La in ntlworld.]

Old 30-04-2004, 12:02 AM
Bozo the Evil Klown

The Magnificent ******* wrote in message ...
Antivirus software companies charge you money to "protect" your computer
from viruses and other bad things that could happen to it (trojan horse,
worm, etc.). If you don't pay for protection, there is a very good
chance that something bad will happen to your computer. Some people say
that some antivirus software companies are even responsible for some (or
most) of the new viruses that come out.........that way there is always
a need for their products.

Sounds kind of like the mafia. Either you pay them for protection or
you'll get hurt or something like that.

Is this just a coincidence?

It's an evolutionary thing: The antivirus software filters out all but
the more pernicious, tricksy code, *and* inspires the bored
programmers to come up with ever more inventive and furtive viruses.
Eventually antivirus apps won't be just "useful" but an every-minute
*necessity* for being on the Net- and that's when the price of
antivirus software will jack itself into orbit.

*****
The Joker in the Eeeeeeevil Cabal Deck of Cards.

"My dog has rights!!" Jonathan Archer

"The Romulan Star Empire? What's that?" Ibid

"Have you ever known me to do anything foolish?" Ibid