Old 07-05-2004, 06:02 PM
junkyardcat

Default Hibiscus and Scabiosa

My Hibiscus was flowering nicely for a few weeks, but now there aren't any
blooms, or even any buds on it. Is it done for the year already? I thought
they bloomed all Summer.

Also....I bought a Scabiosa (aka Pincushion flowers) about 3 weeks ago. It
was full of blooms. Put it in the ground and it bloomed for maybe a
week...now there aren't any blooms or buds on it either! I thought they
bloomed all Summer too! Am I wrong?

Thanks for your expertise
Angie

Old 07-05-2004, 10:05 PM
kate

junkyardcat wrote:

My Hibiscus was flowering nicely for a few weeks, but now there aren't any
blooms, or even any buds on it. Is it done for the year already? I thought
they bloomed all Summer.

Also....I bought a Scabiosa (aka Pincushion flowers) about 3 weeks ago. It
was full of blooms. Put it in the ground and it bloomed for maybe a
week...now there aren't any blooms or buds on it either! I thought they
bloomed all Summer too! Am I wrong?

Thanks for your expertise
Angie

I'm growing Scabiosa from seed (Olympia mix) and my notes say that it
takes 90-110 days to flower and sucessive plantings every 2-3 weeks
until mid summer will give the best quality flowers and pods. Other than
that, I have no idea what they do and will be reading other responses
with great interest.

Kate
Old 08-05-2004, 03:03 AM
Vox Humana

"kate" wrote in message

junkyardcat wrote:

[...]

I sounds like you have the annual type of scabiosa. I assumed that the OP
has the perennial type, Scabiosa Columbaria. I live in zone six and mine
bloomed from very early spring though very late fall. It was semi-evergreen
and seems to be happiest in cooler weather. There were sporadic flowers in
the heat of the summer, but not as many in as in the spring and fall. It
lasted about 3 years and then they all died one winter.