Old 08-05-2004, 04:02 PM
Cereus-validus

Default taunting garden center workers

There you go taunting those highly paid plant scientists working at the
garden centers again. Its bad enough that they are forced to make fools of
themselves on a daily basis catering to the great unwashed minions. Now you
have to remind them of the limits of their wisdom too?

Its bad enough that they are forced to sell the crap plants to the public.
You have to remind them that the crap is actually a threat to the
environment too? Should they be held responsible for any damage these plants
might do? Its not as though they humiliated Iraqi terrorist prisoners that
killed innocent citizens and American soldiers. (We don't want terrorists to
feel bad for committing unspeakable evil acts, do we?) What do you want from
them a apology?

"escapee" wrote in message
Hey, I saw a garden center selling purple loosetrife and when I pointed it

out,
the manager argued with me that it "wasn't the one which is the noxious

weed."
I said, "yes it is." She walked away. She is also selling Nandina

domestica
and wax leaf ligustrum and Chinese tallow. I may give misinformation here

now
and then, I know I'm not perfect, but these garden centers suck. I

reported her
only because she would not even consider for a moment that I knew what I

was
talking about.

Old 08-05-2004, 10:02 PM
escapee

Yeah, fancy that, huh. We have a problem with hydrilla down here. If they
think that's bad, wait till the loosetrife plants itself everywhere up and down
the lower Colorado River. Eh. What garden center pays high? I want that job!
")

Now, as for Rumsfeld...he should be stripped naked and made to perform on dubya
on Iraqi television. That would be some good watchin.

As for the prisoners being terrorists, well, I don't know who or what they are,
but I thought Americans were operating under the Geneva Conventions and that
soldiers who hold prisoners captive were properly trained. Guess not.

oh well

On Sat, 08 May 2004 14:14:23 GMT, "Cereus-validus"
opined:

There you go taunting those highly paid plant scientists working at the
garden centers again. Its bad enough that they are forced to make fools of
themselves on a daily basis catering to the great unwashed minions. Now you
have to remind them of the limits of their wisdom too?

Its bad enough that they are forced to sell the crap plants to the public.
You have to remind them that the crap is actually a threat to the
environment too? Should they be held responsible for any damage these plants
might do? Its not as though they humiliated Iraqi terrorist prisoners that
killed innocent citizens and American soldiers. (We don't want terrorists to
feel bad for committing unspeakable evil acts, do we?) What do you want from
them a apology?

.. .

Old 09-05-2004, 07:02 AM
gardengal

"escapee" wrote in message
Hey, I saw a garden center selling purple loosetrife and when I pointed it

out,
the manager argued with me that it "wasn't the one which is the noxious

weed."
I said, "yes it is." She walked away. She is also selling Nandina

domestica
and wax leaf ligustrum and Chinese tallow. I may give misinformation here

now
and then, I know I'm not perfect, but these garden centers suck. I

reported her
only because she would not even consider for a moment that I knew what I

was
talking about.

It isn't the fault of the employee that these huge mega box stores are
selling noxious weeds. These companies are trying to get the customer
to spend all their money there by creating a one stop shopping
experience. (That's why you will find air-conditioners next to out
door furniture. grin) They have no experience with gardening or
flowers--everything that is sold is a choice of someone at
'corporate', in some distant place, who has no idea of the local
growing conditions or laws. (In Idaho it is illegal to import garlic
and onions from out of state. You must buy from a local grower. This
prevents white mold from spreading. But every year Wally-world
brings it in extremely early, on big trucks,in the middle of the
night.) I call the county extention agent or the State Agricultural
board--they have the right to come in and demand paperwork and levy
fines. They also enforce local noxious weed laws. Contact your county
agent and explain the situation--in farm country enforcement of
agricultural laws- like noxious weeds- is taken seriously. Disease
like white mold can devastate entire crops. But please lay of the poor
wage slave--it's hard work ( been there-done that)
This is an example of just one more reason to patronise local
merchants and garden shops--even if the prices are a little higher.
Old 09-05-2004, 03:02 PM
escapee

On 8 May 2004 22:47:17 -0700, (gardengal) opined:

"escapee" wrote in message
[...]

This is a two store, high end garden center. It's called Red Barn Nursery and
Garden center. It's not a huge box store, doesn't have air conditioners next to
plants and the person I spoke to is the horticultural manager who oversees
purchases and sales of perennials. Clearly she was selling Lysimachia vulgaris
and she denied it was "the same one" that's noxious. I indeed did contact the
local environmental groups and hopefully they will address it immediately. I
grow very tired of pompous nursery workers, managers and the like who look down
their noses at customers because they point out something very obvious. She was
very rude and contrite.
Old 09-05-2004, 04:02 PM
Cereus-validus

Its bad enough when the dolts don't know anything about the plants they sell
but when they try to pass themselves off as experts at the same time, that's
it.

Got into a disagreemant about some local celebrity that works at a local
well-known nursery. Some one said that she has been a manager there for
several years and really knew her stuff. I said she only knows what she
reads on the plant tags and after all these years she should have retained
at least some basic info about the stuff they sell.

Old 09-05-2004, 11:02 PM
gardengal

"escapee" wrote in message
[...]

My apologies--It sounded like you had visited a big box. No, that's no
way to treat a customer. I actually enjoy customers who have some
knowledge of what they're doing--it makes them more interesting to
talk to. I hope your environmental groups have some sucess.