Old 10-05-2004, 05:04 PM
ted

Default indoor plants and flying insects

I have about 7 indoor plants, mainly pothos. I noticed very small
flying insects around them. Only one per plant (for now!) I'll use
some organic spray for them but I was wondering if there are any
plants that repel insects and I don't have to worry about them?

I don't care what plants they are as long as they can live in a
container and can be kep alive. Can you please suggest something?

Thanks.
Old 17-05-2004, 01:04 AM
eclectic

Yuck. I have only one plant in the house right now everything else has
been moved outside. But my bathroom and somewhat in my kitchen has
these little gnat things like fruitflies kinda. I've been wondering if
they come up from the drains? Are they the same thing? One bathroom
with the shower is particularly bad. I sprayed some Raid flying
insect in there today and shut the door. Seemed to get rid of them for
a moment.

They'll be back. Their larvae would still be in the drains.
Have a look at this site which describes drain flies and control methods:

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2071.html

This site also describes these, but as moth flies:

http://www.pestproducts.com/mothfly.htm

Good luck.

Old 18-05-2004, 12:06 AM

Cut down on watering, fungus gnats thrive in wet soil. You can try to keep
them down with a neem oil spray, but they might be hard to totally
eliminate. Cayenne pepper spray is good for repelling insects; however, you
will want to try it on a small part of the plant first to make sure it
doesn't do any harm. The gnats really don't do much damage, but they can be
quite bothersome.

Subject: indoor plants and flying insects
From: (ted)
Date: 5/10/2004 10:20 AM Central Daylight Time
I have about 7 indoor plants, mainly pothos. I noticed very small
flying insects around them. Only one per plant (for now!) I'll use
some organic spray for them but I was wondering if there are any
plants that repel insects and I don't have to worry about them?

I don't care what plants they are as long as they can live in a
container and can be kep alive. Can you please suggest something?

They are fungus gnats. Instead of freaking out, just ignore them. Or
reduce watering, which will cut the population somewhat.

If you have plants, you have fungus gnats. No way around it.

-

theoneflasehaddock

Yuck. I have only one plant in the house right now everything else
has
been moved outside. But my bathroom and somewhat in my kitchen has
these little gnat things like fruitflies kinda. I've been wondering if
they come up from the drains? Are they the same thing? One bathroom
with the shower is particularly bad. I sprayed some Raid flying
insect in there today and shut the door. Seemed to get rid of them for
a moment.

amy

The message sender's identity is unknown, unlogged, and not replyable.
Any address shown in the From header is unverified. For more
information about this anonymous remailing service visit:
http://cypherpunks.faithweb.com
This anonymous remailer is a joint project of the Xandra International
Freedom Association.

Old 18-05-2004, 03:02 AM
Amy D

eclectic wrote:
Yuck. I have only one plant in the house right now everything else has
been moved outside. But my bathroom and somewhat in my kitchen has
these little gnat things like fruitflies kinda. I've been wondering if
they come up from the drains? Are they the same thing? One bathroom
with the shower is particularly bad. I sprayed some Raid flying
insect in there today and shut the door. Seemed to get rid of them for
a moment.

They'll be back. Their larvae would still be in the drains.
Have a look at this site which describes drain flies and control methods:

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2071.html

This site also describes these, but as moth flies:

http://www.pestproducts.com/mothfly.htm

Good luck.

YUCK! Thanks for the info!

amy